Simple Panel Question

Old 10-26-09, 06:46 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Simple Panel Question

First let me say that I've read these forums for a while and have been able to find answers in existing threads for the questions I've had . I've now just registered to ask the simple question below and, as I'm getting ready to start a kitchen remodel, I'm sure I'll have questions about electrical in this kitchen. Thanks to those who have provided answers in the past and those who will in the future. You know who you are...

Anyway, my simple question... bringing Romex into the panel, because of a tight situation the wire enters into the side of the panel right next to the buss bar. Is it okay to run the hot wire (we're talkin' 14-2 w/grnd) under the buss bar on the way to the breaker? Seems okay to me but there's something in the back of my head saying that the hot wire should run around the buss bar.

Also, in looking around the internets for an answer, it appears there are some panels that provide a neutral buss bar and a ground buss bar, distinguished in some pictures by one being the standard brass screws and the other having green screws. My recently installed 200A panel (in a c. 1950 home) has two buss bars, both of them with the "normal" brass screws. Is there a difference between them? The electricians that installed the panel ran ground and neutral wires to the same bars on each side so I'm thinking not. I'm wondering where the ground/neutral distinction is important.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-09, 07:39 PM
F
Originally Posted by petereugene View Post
First let me say that I've read these forums for a while and have been able to find answers in existing threads for the questions I've had . I've now just registered to ask the simple question below and, as I'm getting ready to start a kitchen remodel, I'm sure I'll have questions about electrical in this kitchen. Thanks to those who have provided answers in the past and those who will in the future. You know who you are...

Anyway, my simple question... bringing Romex into the panel, because of a tight situation the wire enters into the side of the panel right next to the buss bar. Is it okay to run the hot wire (we're talkin' 14-2 w/grnd) under the buss bar on the way to the breaker? Seems okay to me but there's something in the back of my head saying that the hot wire should run around the buss bar.

Also, in looking around the internets for an answer, it appears there are some panels that provide a neutral buss bar and a ground buss bar, distinguished in some pictures by one being the standard brass screws and the other having green screws. My recently installed 200A panel (in a c. 1950 home) has two buss bars, both of them with the "normal" brass screws. Is there a difference between them? The electricians that installed the panel ran ground and neutral wires to the same bars on each side so I'm thinking not. I'm wondering where the ground/neutral distinction is important.
Do you know what brand name this panel centre it is ?

To clear up the question about netural and ground at the main breaker bussbar that is legit if the panel centre is the first disconnecting source after the meter that term we call service panel or main breaker box now after the main breaker box there are other breaker box scattered around the area I know it may sound silly but it is not escpally true with very large home or other.

With subpanel useage the netrual and ground are not touching each other the netual bussbar must be floating mode and ground bussbar must be on the breaker box surafce that is the key item you have to watch out for it.

I know few other members here will help you with the wording as well to make it clear for ya.

Merci.
Marc

Old 10-26-09, 09:16 PM
P
Thanks Marc. It's the main (and only) panel and it's a Cutler-Hammer Model # BR3040B200 recently installed in a smallish 850 ft² house. It would appear, according to the description in the link above, that there are two neutral bars and that ground bars have to do with sub panels.

Still, the more important, albeit probably naive, question for now is whether or not it's okay for a hot wire to be fed under the buss bar as opposed to around. Again, I think it's probably okay, it's just that I still have that voice in my head suggesting that maybe a hot wire shouldn't be in such close proximity to the neutral. I know I'm probably overthinking this but if I don't get that voice out of my head I may have to resort to substances not necessarily conducive to working safely around an open 200A panel.

Old 10-26-09, 09:27 PM
F
Ahh ok I know those load centre I deal with that pretty often and yeah the netural and ground bussbar is very easy converted right now it is confreaged as main centre due you have bonding jumper / screw installed.

The main item you want to keep your hand away is the super large conductor above the main breaker that is always alive and unfused othewise the rest is not bad at all

850sqft house with 200 amp that something I useally don't see too often but it do show up like that most case it pretty much SOP to use 100 amp service like that but you are fine with that set up { the house value actally go up a bit with nice large service there that is a big plus }

Merci.
Marc

Old 10-27-09, 05:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 73 Posts
I think it would be much safer and easier for you to run the conductors around in the gutter, instead of trying to fish them under the buss. I am not even sure that you can go under.

Old 10-27-09, 09:10 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
I too would go around the bottom of the panel. If the wire is too short (oops), you can use a wirenut to extend it. It is probably contrary to the listing of the panel to run wires under the bus.