EMT without ground

Old 10-26-09, 10:36 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
EMT without ground

I was inspecting a small conduit run for a garage door opener in a garage and this is what I found: 12/2 w/G NM from attic going into a 4" square metal box, bare ground attached directly to box. From there they ran just a hot and netural inside the conduit. The other end of the conduit has a 4" square box with a duplex receptacle grounded to the box with a #12 wire. I understand that you don't always need to pull a ground wire, but is this an acceptable method of using the conduit as a ground? Should it be bonded using a bonding bushing?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-09, 04:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
As long as the ground wire is secuely attached to the boxes with either a listed ground clip or a ground screw this would be a proper installation. Proper fittings need to be used on the conduit and the locknuts need to be tight.

The receptacle may need GFI protection depending on which code cycle is in effect.

Note, there is a proposal for the 2011 Code cycle that would require a grounding conductor in the conduit.

Old 10-27-09, 09:03 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
The circuit sounds okay to me as long as they used the correct conduit fittings. EMT with metal boxes is a legal equipment ground.

Old 10-27-09, 01:02 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pcboss,

Can you elaborate on this proposal or provide a link with the details?

And when would a bonding bushing required? I think I've read something about needing them when the conduit is terminated in an eccentric or concentric knockout?

Old 10-27-09, 01:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
I read it in Electrical Contractor magazine for Oct/09. It appears to only affect HVAC equipment. Article 440.9, proposal 11-129 Log No. 2053.