Breakers in my panel wont show 220v..

Old 10-27-09, 06:41 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Breakers in my panel wont show 220v..

Weird problem, my dryer heat doesn't work, figured out that I'm not getting 220v on my double breakers when I test the red and black. 120 on black and red when i touch the ground but when i test them together it goes to 3v? Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-09, 07:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You may have a bad breaker. Do any of the other circuits have problems? Unplug the dryer and test the breaker again across the phases. You may also have a bad heating element.

Old 10-27-09, 07:19 AM
H
I'm having the same problem on the other double breakers as well. I turned the panel off and on, did not change anything..

Old 10-27-09, 08:13 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
If you feel comfortable doing so, carefully try your test again on the main lugs of the panel where the incoming service wires bolt to the main breaker. It is important to measure "upsteam" of the main breaker to rule it out as the cause. Test voltage from lug A to ground (the metal box or neutral bar will work), lug B to ground and lug A to lug B.

Also for our reference could you let us know the make and model of the breaker panel and approximate age?

Old 10-27-09, 08:42 PM
H
Alrighty, the lugs seem good, I`m getting 240v on them. The weird part are the breakers. Touching one side of the main breaker and one single breaker, some readings are 240, some are nothing. They all seem to read normal when I`m touching the top lug on the main switch but when I test with the bottom lug some breakers arn`t giving me a reading. Something`s definitely weird with this panel. Any ideas?

Old 10-27-09, 09:04 PM
F
What brand name breaker box you have there ??

I have a feeling you have corroaded breaker or burnted connection at the bussbar conneciton on breaker area.

Merci.
Marc

Old 10-27-09, 09:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
he weird part are the breakers. Touching one side of the main breaker and one single breaker, some readings are 240, some are nothing.
When you measure across the same leg it will be 0v.

Old 10-28-09, 07:55 AM
H
It's a Federal Stab Lok, about 10 years old..

Old 10-28-09, 08:38 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
No question in my mind that it's a faulty panel. The FPE, Federal Pacific, Federal Pioneer Stab-Lok design is known for its poor quality and unusually high rate of failure. The Canadian panels and breakers are better than their U.S. counterparts, however they still suffer from the same flawed stab design.

I know there was a recall in Canada around the late 90s, so it's possible you could be covered by that. The company that now owns the brand is called Schneider -- I recommend that you contact them to see if your model number might be covered.

Unfortunately you're probably looking at a complete panel replacement. Once these panels start to go bad it's all downhill from the heat and corrosion. I do not recommend just replacing parts. In my opinion the stab-lok design is fundamentally flawed and should be replaced with a different brand. I recommend that you call around to get some estimates from local contractors.

Old 10-28-09, 08:41 AM
H
Thanks for the suggestions, I have a contractor coming over tonight..

Old 10-28-09, 07:19 PM
F
Let us know how it come out with the situation.

Merci.
Marc