red wire 3 way dimmer install question

Old 10-27-09, 11:35 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
red wire 3 way dimmer install question

Hi fellas. I've currently got two hall lights running on a 3 way curcuit. I purchased a dimmer switch to install on one. When I pulled the old switch off I found one set of wires coming to the box. a black white red and ground wire. The diagram supplied with the new switch shows a three way hook up but only shows the old box with two sets coming in to the box (one BWR&Gnd and one BW&Gnd). This diagram requires me to hook the 2 neutrals together in the box (I've only got one) one black to black (on new switch), the other black to red (on new switch) and red to red. I'm kind of confused without having 2 sets of wires coming to the box. Can someone please assist????
Thanks all!
Don

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-09, 11:58 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I may have been unclear as to the fact that the new switch has TWO red wires, one labled "for 3way installation only" as well as a black and ground wires.
Sorry

Old 10-27-09, 12:25 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Check the instructions for which of the three wires is the common. It is almost certainly the black. wire but check to be sure.

On the switch you are replacing there is one odd colored screw. Usually it is a darker color. That is the common.

Hook the common wire that was hooked to the old switch to the common wire of the new switch. The remaining two wires on the old switch go to the remaining two wires of the new switch. Those are the travelers and the order the travelers connect isn't important.

This diagram requires me to hook the 2 neutrals together in the box
There are many ways to hook up a 3-way. The one shown isn't yours.

Last edited by ray2047; 10-27-09 at 12:40 PM.