Safety Concern

Old 10-27-09, 05:51 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Safety Concern

I bought a house about 5 months ago, the previous owner had cable ran for 3 outlet receptacles. The last one in the run (or what I'm going to use as the last, apparently the previous owner had other plans) has two cables coming into the box. One feeding the outlet, and the other runs up the wall, through the top plate, and it's cut off right after it comes out of the top plate. Like he was going to run more lights or outlets. The cable is stapled to the framing members, and the wall is finished, I tried to pull the cable out from both ends, but it won't come. I hooked up outlets, and put it on a new breaker in the subpanel. My concern is the extra cable in the box, with a hot cable. Is it possible for the bare ground, if it got close enough to the feed wire to arc, and create a safety issue? would it be safe to pigtail the unused ground with the other ground?

So my questions are is this a safety issue? Against code? If so are there any options beside finding a way to get that cable out of the wall?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-09, 06:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Disconnect the cable going up the wall from where it begins in the receptacle box and cut it as short as possible so it can't be reconnected to the receptacle. Leaving it attached to the receptacle could cause a problem, and is definitely not to code.

Old 10-27-09, 06:13 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Disconnect the cable going up the wall from where it begins in the receptacle box and cut it as short as possible so it can't be reconnected to the receptacle. Leaving it attached to the receptacle could cause a problem, and is definitely not to code.
No, I do NOT have it hooked to the receptacle, I know better then that. My concern is it just being in the box. The hot and neutral don't have any bare wire showing, and I can cap those, but the bare ground, just being in the box, touching the hot. So just cut it as short as possible with some diag cutters, push as far back in the box as I can, and call it a day?

Old 10-27-09, 07:23 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 95 Posts
As Chandler said, the unused wire should be cut as short as possible and removed from the box if you are able to. The goal is to leave nothing in the box that could be reconnected either accidentally or intentionally.

Leaving wires in the back of the box is a bad idea.