grounding bathroom fans and heater

Old 10-28-09, 12:02 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
grounding bathroom fans and heater

I have a nutone wall heater. wire enters into the all steel rough in box via NM connector. The heater assembly is attached to the plastic cover and The wires are all located here. there is a green wire that is grounded to the assembly shown below

My question here is that the rough in box does not have a ground nor is there any hole for a ground wire in the built in electrical box. I suppose when the heater unit is attaced via two sheet metal screws that the box is then grounded. But shouldn't it have a direct ground? I suppose just use a grounding clip here?

on to the fans with similar issues. here is cover for one of them.

wire will enter through hole and then splice to the 3 wires inside unit. The ground inside unit connect to the metal box housing the fan and then splits and goes to the motor. Question here is do I need to ground the actual cover since you could actually remove it with wires still all connected and once you pull it away from the box it would no longer be grounded. I tried to put ground screw in the holes but they are not threaded and a ground screw would not start in hole.

opposite issue with this fan. here is the mounting box

and here is the corner piece that contains the wires and a plug for the motor.

so the ground connects to the corner cover piece which then slides into the corner of the box. But the box itself doesn't have ground other than this slide in connection. Once again I tried to put screw in that hole but it wasn't threaded either and I could not get the screw to start. I would think that if you are supposed to ground these that they would have the proper holes in them so since screws wouldn't start I thought maybe they didn't require anything additional.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-09, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
Looking at your third picture it appears there is a bump with a hole. (kind of middle, top, right.) Is that threaded for a ground screw? I would not worry about grounding the cover because it will be grounded when attached to the fans can.

Old 10-28-09, 07:12 PM
H
No, that is the one that I tried but it is not threaded and I could not get a ground screw to start. I can try pushing a little harder, but it seemed to just be ruining the threads of screw.

what about the heater? The whole enclosure is steel but no holes for ground. one screw just goes through plastic into box but other one goes through steel plate that is grounded and that plate contacts the box when the screw is tightened. when loosen the screw and pull it out and then pull unit out the box becomes ungrounded.

Old 10-29-09, 08:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Old 10-30-09, 06:02 PM
H
fan #1-instructions just say wire to code

fan #2-the housing was put in by HVAC. They gave me the motor unit. no instructions.

heater-instructions show how to wire for 120V or 240V and show the ground wire to green wire from unit. doesn't mention anything about grounding the box but says wire to code. If a single gang switch box needs the box and the switch both grounded, it would seem to me that the steel enclosure of heater should be grounded as well as the heater unit, yet no hole for a screw?

Old 10-31-09, 07:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by hammerash View Post
If a single gang switch box needs the box and the switch both grounded, it would seem to me that the steel enclosure of heater should be grounded as well as the heater unit, yet no hole for a screw?
Just an FYI - a switch, that is attached to a metal box, with metal screws, does not need to be connected to a ground wire. 404.9(B)(1)(2005)

I suggest drilling and taping your own hole. It must be a taped 10-32 hole for a green grounding screw.

Old 10-31-09, 08:18 AM
H
since I don't have a 10-32 tap but do have grounding clips how does that sound?

I thought that in order to not need to ground a switch in metal box, the box must be surface mounted. If flush mounted than it needs ground. Thats what my book "wiring a house" seems to say but I don't have or know the NEC. so you are saying that in metal box you DON'T need to run ground pigtail to the switches even if flush mounted?

Old 10-31-09, 11:53 AM
H
well I just looked at heater box. the metal is so thin that I don't think you would be able to thread it. so I guess it is a grounding clip or nothing. Actually, I guess you could get a 10-32 nut and lock washer and put on other side if that would meet code?