Thermal cut off

Old 10-28-09, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
Thermal cut off

My horse pushed over our barn fan and killed the motor. I dug through it and found the bad part. It is a thermal cutoff I found here: XCMQ2.E239646 - Thermal Links - Component I am having a heck of a time finding a source for this part so I can fix the fan. Anybody know of an online source for these parts?

Here is all the info off the part:
RH115-2
115C 2A
250V P2

The only other info I have found out is that it is a radial type. With both leads off the bottom.

Oh, and I only need one. Not 10,000

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-09, 07:49 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tolyn:

What brand name of the fan motor maybe I know some trick along the way.

Yeah tell me about the termal fuse I ran into the same issue few years back they want in large qualinty not single item

Merci.
Marc

Old 10-28-09, 08:25 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
have you tried running the thing without the thermal (bypassed)? If you smoked the windings (yes, I know the thermal should prevent that but a thermal should also reset itself as well), it would do you know good to replace the thermal.

Old 10-29-09, 02:55 PM
Group Moderator
The only number on the motor is a sticker with the numbers DQ50DC. I googled that and came up with zip (and I mean zip!)
It does not have any kind of nameplate. This is off a fan from Lowe's Utilitech brand (IE: made in China)

I checked the windings are they are all good. From what I am reading, this type of cutoff is a one shot deal, like a fuse. It does not reset like a heater.

Old 10-29-09, 05:44 PM
T
Received 41 Votes on 40 Posts
45 cents each at digikey

In single quantities for that price. But, like nap said, test it first without the fuse, just a jumper.
Back in the day, when motor shops would actually rewind a fractional HP motor, they would NOT replace the thermal fuse.
I would tend to want to use an external fuse, just over the motor rating.

Old 10-29-09, 07:08 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by telecom guy View Post
In single quantities for that price.
I looked all over that site and couldn't find a radial one that they had in stock.

**I found the Axial one I assume you are referring to. Maybe I'll just get that. =I

Back in the day, when motor shops would actually rewind a fractional HP motor, they would NOT replace the thermal fuse.
I would tend to want to use an external fuse, just over the motor rating.
I was thinking about doing just that. In fact I was going to post it but was unsure if it would be safe or not. The old part lists 2A but also lists 115C. I was not sure if they blow on current or heat since the old one was laying right on top of the coils.

Old 10-30-09, 03:19 PM
T
Received 41 Votes on 40 Posts
It's a thermal fuse with a max current rating. So, no matter what current UP to 2 amps, it will destroy itself to an open if the temp exceeds its rating. It must touch the windings.

Old 10-30-09, 07:09 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have had a need for these a few times over the years, (blender, vacuum cleaner, coffee pot etc.) and have always had good luck finding them at a local electronics supplier.

Have you tried these guys? I think they are local to you but I may be wrong.

Stark Electronics -- Test and Measurement Equipment

Good luck !

Old 10-31-09, 07:07 AM
Group Moderator
It's a thermal fuse with a max current rating. So, no matter what current UP to 2 amps, it will destroy itself to an open if the temp exceeds its rating. It must touch the windings.
Thats what I was thinking. Thanks for the confirmation.

Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
I have had a need for these a few times over the years, (blender, vacuum cleaner, coffee pot etc.) and have always had good luck finding them at a local electronics supplier.

Have you tried these guys? I think they are local to you but I may be wrong.

Stark Electronics -- Test and Measurement Equipment

Good luck !
Yes, they appear to be local. I will give them a shot. Turns out we (The company I work for) are looking another electronic part these guys might have. Its a twofer! Thanks!