temp power pole underground

Old 10-29-09, 01:10 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
temp power pole underground

short story. my house burned. not down. service pnl still intack,meter pulled by pwr company,all electical ok up to service pnl. now i need power to do things & opperate my tools. my shop/garage/barn unattached not affected. pwr comp. says have temp service installed & inspected they will restore service. having hard time getting any answers out of county planning & developement other than i could poss. run through existing meter pnl to a temp service pnl? what do you think? I would like to do work myself. pwr is also cut at road/transformer. I live in washington state,pierce county, unincorparated pierce county. Thanks chuck

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-09, 01:31 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 544 Posts
I don't understand your thread title "temp power pole underground".

When I built my house I had a temporary "saw pole" for power and it required a permit. Basically it was a short telephone pole with a meter base and circuit panel. Circuits on the saw pole had to have GFCI circuit breakers except for the main disconnect if you have one. I had to have a proper ground for the panel which for me was an 8' long copper clad or galvanized grounding rod driven into the ground and connected by a #8 copper wire. This link should give you a good idea but check to see what your local codes require.

Old 10-29-09, 02:20 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cmelee View Post
short story. my house burned. not down. service pnl still intack,meter pulled by pwr company,all electical ok up to service pnl. now i need power to do things & opperate my tools. my shop/garage/barn unattached not affected. pwr comp. says have temp service installed & inspected they will restore service. having hard time getting any answers out of county planning & developement other than i could poss. run through existing meter pnl to a temp service pnl? what do you think? I would like to do work myself. pwr is also cut at road/transformer. I live in washington state,pierce county, unincorparated pierce county. Thanks chuck
Was your old service on the house or on a pole away from the house? Let us know.
Thanks!
jim

Old 11-01-09, 03:53 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 95 Posts
Around here, a temp pole is generally a pair of 4x4s sunk into the ground with a few cross braces. A piece of plywood is mounted between the two 4x4's for the meter pan, outdoor rated breaker panel, and usually a few GFI receptacles with bubble covers.

One of the 4x4's is a 16-footer, extending up. The service drop (PVC and THWN) goes up to a weatherhead. This is where the POCO attached their service.

The POCO has specific drawings on how to construct this, and if it doesn't meet their requirements, they won't connect to it. I'd recommend contacting your POCO and seeing what they need. They can probably provide specific drawings.

See page 32 of the pdf file - from First Energy Corp:
https://www.firstenergycorp.com/Buil...11%2008%29.pdf