New romex into old metal box

Old 10-30-09, 09:40 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New romex into old metal box

Is it considered code to wrap the bare ground wire around new romex cable in order to anchor it into an older metal box?

Iím not sure of the correct term but the box has the compression clips that are adjustable through a screw inside the box. The cable, wrapped in the ground wire, is then inserted into this clip and held into place thus grounding the box itself (http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/p...1_front200.jpg See inside box for an example)

This is done throughout my home but using the older cloth romex. Is it acceptable to follow this same procedure but using new plastic romex?

I would ultimately like to get a new box but the work required would be too much.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-09, 09:49 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
It is not allowed anymore. The correct fix is to use a 10-32 self-taping ground screw in the solid part of the back of the box. A short 6" pigtail of wire is wrapped around that screw and then wirenutted to the rest of the grounds in the box. Ideal makes a prefab assembly for this purpose called a term-a-nut, but you can make your own too using bare wire:

Old 10-30-09, 10:40 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I would ultimately like to get a new box but the work required would be too much
Assuming only non-metallic cable and normal wall less then 30 minutes to swap out to a plastic old work box and no patching afterward needed. 45 min if you don't have a Sawzall.

Old 10-30-09, 11:28 AM
K
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
It is not allowed anymore. The correct fix is to use a 10-32 self-taping ground screw in the solid part of the back of the box. A short 6" pigtail of wire is wrapped around that screw and then wirenutted to the rest of the grounds in the box. Ideal makes a prefab assembly for this purpose called a term-a-nut, but you can make your own too using bare wire:

How does the new romex wire stay anchored to the box then? The romex wire is too small for the clamp in the box. The ground wire wrapped around the romex cable makes it larger so the clamp can hold it securely.

My issue is with the anchoring of the cable, not the grounding of it.

The punchouts are poorly placed so I can't fit a Romex Two-Screw Clamp Connector nicely.

Old 10-30-09, 11:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
If you turn the power off and temporarily remove the clamp you can untwist the ground from around the old cable sheath.

The clamp will pivot somewhat and also clamp the smaller diameter cable.

Old 10-31-09, 10:40 AM
P
Wrap tape around the cable end to expand the cable diameter .