Outdoor lighting wiring...

Old 10-30-09, 02:42 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor lighting wiring...

Hi folks,

Electrical wiring question here. Let me preface by saying I know I can get it to work, just wondering if this is an "ok" way to do it.

I have a pergola with ceiling fan/light with 2 switches, 1 for light, 1 for fan. I'd like to wire in some patio string lights with the same light switch that controls the fan light. There's conduit now running from the switch box to the box above the fan, all concealed (mostly).

Because the patio lights have standard outlet plugs, I was thinking the way to do this "legally" would be to install an outdoor outlet in a concealed spot on top of the pergola, and wire that into the fan box via conduit such that the same load wire controls both the fan light and controls the outlet.

The string lights obviously would be plugged into the outlet. The entire circuit is already GFCI protected.

The above seems to be fine as far as I can tell, but just wanted to check. I live in NC. Does this approach seem reasonable?

Thx much!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-09, 07:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 178 Posts
Everything you describe in your plan sounds good. An in-use weatherproof cover will be required for the outlet.

Old 11-01-09, 10:40 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Appreciate it...