Planning for a pole barn

Old 11-01-09, 06:20 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Planning for a pole barn

I am in Atlantic County, NJ and will be having my driveway paved soon. I want to trench 100' to where I expect my pole barn will be, but not until next year . In trying to be proactive, I want to trench and place the cable so as not to have to dig up the newly paved driveway (30') to do the electrical work when it's time. The pole barn will have a air compressor, MIG welder, lights and receptacles, 60 amps should handle it all, but I was going to go for 85 or 100 amp, to eliminate any future required upgrades.
My plan is to tap off my existing house 200 amp service, or out of the meter socket (It will have to be changed to accomodate this but only when the actual hookup happens.)
My question is what cable should I use for this future subpanel/service? I want to install it inside of PVC conduit, just to be safe, and was thinking about going with aluminum, for cost. Is there anything wrong with my plans?

Thanks for you time
Henry

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-09, 06:41 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Use 2" schedule 80 PVC placing a rope inside as you assemble it. Later you can go back and pull what ever you need through it. If it is not under the driveway you can use schedule 40.

Old 11-01-09, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 178 Posts
IMO - 2" is a bit overkill. (although it will suit your needs if you ever want to up it to 200 amp) I suggest 1 1/2" max.

Also, put in a 3/4" or larger for low voltage like Network/Internet, phone, intercom, cable, etc. You might want to consider a gas line too.

Old 11-02-09, 09:15 AM
H
Thanks guys for the info, I really appreciate it. The only thing better is if the price of copper dropped so I could afford to pull the cable now instead of later. Also, I just found out a few minutes ago that Home Depot rents tools, and for the trencher it's cheaper to rent there than at the rental store. Hi-ho, hi ho , it's off to ditch digging I go.

Old 11-02-09, 07:47 PM
F
Just remember to trench at least 18 inches deep { not sure if your local code require more deeper due the frost level }

And make sure you call the digging hotline or simuair or dail 711 that is nationwide digging hotline just call them up and give your location and someone will come out and mark any buired uilites etc but they will not do the privite side only on uilites side like POCO , GAZ , Phone , etc etc

That way you will be on safe side is something show up you will know what to do next.

Merci,Marc