Black & Decker Pocket Power modification

Old 11-01-09, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Black & Decker Pocket Power modification

I have search the internet until my fingers were worn down to the bone... and I can not find any information on modifications on this small DC to AC battery backup supply?
(Amazon.com: Black & Decker CP120B 20-Watt Power Backup Battery Pack: Home Improvement)

I need the backup battery pack to stay on when plugged and unplugged from AC power as I am trying to go green and I have the entire entertainment system plugged into a switched outlet but I would like the remote to keep charging even when the system is off and this battery backup supply works great for that except that you have to press the power switch on it ever time the power is shut off to it. So I ripped the unit apart and it has a circuit board inside but I am not sure were to begin to modify the device so that it does not auto shut off/on.

If anyone knows about this device or can point me to a site that has done some mods I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

-DK

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-09, 11:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would not modify anything like this. This would void the UL listing. Why are people so crazy over trying to "go green?"

Old 11-01-09, 01:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Why not just get a UPS? They are automatic. Mark, Al would be proud.

Old 11-02-09, 07:35 AM
To modify something like that, you would need schematic wiring diagrams of the device and need to know electronics.

Also these days a lot of the "circuitry" is encased in integrated circuit chips and you would not be able to modify anything to do with how those operate.

If you are trying to save money on your electric bill by running your "remote" off of this battery pack, it will not save any on your electric use.

Why not plug the "remote" into an always on outlet and forget the battery pack?

Also what is this "remote" that you want to always have power?

Old 11-03-09, 07:23 PM
On/Off peak hours..

Originally Posted by Bill190 View Post
To modify something like that, you would need schematic wiring diagrams of the device and need to know electronics.

Also these days a lot of the "circuitry" is encased in integrated circuit chips and you would not be able to modify anything to do with how those operate.

If you are trying to save money on your electric bill by running your "remote" off of this battery pack, it will not save any on your electric use.

Why not plug the "remote" into an always on outlet and forget the battery pack?

Also what is this "remote" that you want to always have power?
The reason I want to be able to charge it from the pack is because it is cheaper to charge the pack on off peak hours and have the pack charge the remote on the on peak hours.

I did take a look at the circuit board inside and it looks like there is an IC chip that is doing the controlling so it would be a bit of a work-around to mod it. I will setup an X10 module to control the charging base and have it active on off peak hours. That should solve the problem.

Thank you for the replies.

-DK

Old 11-03-09, 09:07 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Have you actually crunched the numbers to see how much you save. I'd be very surprised if it would be enough to buy a Big Mac once a year. Prove me wrong, do the math.

Old 11-09-09, 01:16 AM
Just put the remote charger in another socket. You will use more energy charging the UPS than you will save turning the plug off. Please whats the odd pound here or there anyway. (Says he with something over 500 watts halogen lighting in his room).