electric dryer cord installation

Old 11-01-09, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
electric dryer cord installation

Trying to replace the cord on an older dryer, old cord had 4 wires (only 3 hooked up) new cord that fits the socket has 3 wires, hooked up the three, turned on the dryer and got a pretty good shock!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-09, 12:51 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Usually the center conductor of the cord is neutral. It may also be identified with a molded in ridge. Usually the center post of the dryer terminal block is neutral. Since this is a three wire cord there should be a grounding strap from the neutral to a ground screw on the chassis.

Are you sure the receptacle is wired correctly. With the power off open it up and tell us what you have. What color wires to X and Y (brass screws). What color wire to the silver screw?

Old 11-01-09, 01:50 PM
the cord that I took off had 4 wires, the new one has 3, I hooked up the center to the center and the other two to either side of the center one. I did not hook up anything to ground, (probably why I got shocked when I opened the door to shut it off?) The receptical is wired correctly since I took the dryer that used to be hooked up to it and it works at the new house it was moved to.

Old 11-01-09, 02:50 PM
You need to install the grounding strap from the neutral to chassis. If you have the manufactures instructions it should be explained in there. If the strap is missing you can substitute a green insulated or bare #10 wire.

Caution once it is hooked up correctly use a multimeter to check on voltage between bare metal the dryer and a known good ground. A steel or cooper water pipe or the ground opening on a grounded extension cord would be examples of grounds. Do not touch it till you verify you have 0v to ground.

Last edited by ray2047; 11-01-09 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-02-09, 07:01 AM
Do I leave the center wire hooked up, and run the extra wire from that to the ground screw? Also, on the testing am I to ground one side and touch the other to the machine anywhere?

Old 11-02-09, 08:37 AM
B
I misread the first time....I'm understanding that you are converting a 4 wire cord on a replacement dryer with a 3 wire cord to fit the existing dryer receptacle. Is that correct?

And your getting a substantial shock when you touch the dryer after installing the 3 wire cord?

First thing is the dryer frame may be hot (electrified) whether it is running or not. So don't plug it in period till you verify that the dryer is connected properly. And then test as Ray suggested.

So you need to get the dryer connected properly first.

You also say this dryer was wired with a 4 wire cord but only 3 wires were hooked up. So this would imply the dryer is configured for a 3 wire connection with an improper cord being installed on it. Sooooooo......

What type cord have you got? The gray flat type or the round black one? If your using the gray flat type the ribbed center wire in the cord is the neutral. This will go to the center terminal of the dryer. The other two wires will go on the terminals to either side of the neutral terminal. Other wise if round black type the white (gray in the diagram below) connects to the center neutral terminal and the red and black to either side.. It should look like the below diagram.....notice the ground strap from the neutral terminal to the metal frame. Your dryer may not have a metal strap but a green or green and yellow striped wire which would have either been connected to the neutral terminal and then to the metal frame or it would have been connected to the frame of the dryer using the connection where you would normally connect a 4 wire dryer cord.

Anyway verify that the neutral terminal is bonded with a metal strap or wire to the dryer frame as shown in the below diagram...

Then Carefully check that the two hot wires have no bare area in contact with the metal of the dryer frame. Sometimes this is a problem with the insulation being compromised where it enters the dryers wiring compartment through the strain relief clamp. Check it closely.

Once you verify these things get back to us or if you can post a picture showing us how you have it wired that would be great..

Last edited by Bruto; 11-02-09 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-02-09, 09:21 AM
Do I leave the center wire hooked up, and run the extra wire from that to the ground screw?
Yes.
Also, on the testing am I to ground one side and touch the other to the machine anywhere?
Yes. Ground one side of the meter and test for voltage to any exposed metal on the dryer.

Old 11-02-09, 09:42 AM
B
I agree with Ray and I am suspecting that the dryer does not have the bonding strap installed. If it were then the circuit breaker would be tripping out (hopefully) if a fault existed.

However this is not the problem for the shock if the dryer is wired correctly !! You either have a miswire at the terminal block and the bonding strap is installed or a fault to the frame from a hot wire and the bonding strap is not installed.

Last edited by Bruto; 11-02-09 at 12:14 PM.