Can I use SOOW cable instead of Romex?

Old 11-02-09, 01:26 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Can I use SOOW cable instead of Romex?

I'm installing a transfer switch in my basement and need to connect the generator to the transfer switch breaker (transfer switch looks like a sub-panel with a two breaker interlock). To avoid cutting a hole in the back of my house to install an outlet I was just going to run some 10/4 SOOW cable through an unused dryer vent when I actually need to power the house via the genny. Can I hardwire the SOOW cable directly into the transfer switch and then just stick the plug outside through the dryer vent to connect to the genny when I need back-up power?. Or is it against code to connect the SOOW cable directly to the transfer switch? The SOOW cable would run about 50' in my basement.

The alternative would be to run 10/3 romex to an outlet near the dryer vent, and then construct a cord of SOOW cable to connect to the genny. If possible I wanted to avoid dropping another $60 for outlets and plugs if I didn't need them.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-09, 01:58 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by jacketsfan View Post
The alternative would be to run 10/3 romex to an outlet near the dryer vent, and then construct a cord of SOOW cable to connect to the genny.
That's the correct way to do it. Flexible cords of any type cannot be used in place of premises wiring, and they also cannot be used through walls.

Old 11-02-09, 01:59 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The alternative would be to run 10/3 romex to an outlet near the dryer vent, and then construct a cord of SOOW cable to connect to the genny. If possible I wanted to avoid dropping another $60 for outlets and plugs if I didn't need them.
You can NOT use an outlet. You must use an inlet. Why not mount a box outside on a board covering the unused dryer vent and mount the inlet on it. Use 10-3 Romex if it can be protected otherwise use conduit and THWN. Either will be probably be cheaper then SO cable.

Last edited by ray2047; 11-02-09 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-02-09, 02:04 PM
A
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm going to suggest you do this right and put in an "inlet" for the generator to plug into on the outside of the house and use the 10/3 to connect that to the interlock breaker. Yes it'll cost a bit more for the boxes but it is the way a professional would do this.

It does not sound as if you're getting this inspected.

Check NEC 400.8, you can't run flexible cable through a hole.

Then make up the correct cord to connect your genset to the inlet.

Old 11-03-09, 12:26 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll probably end up mounting the inlet on a board covering the dryer vent as ray2047 suggested. I'll connect the inlet to the transfer switch via 10/3 Romex. I'll then fabricate a cord for the genset from 10/4 SOOW cable to connect to the inlet.

Thanks again.