Electric Panel: I think I know the answer already.

Old 11-02-09, 02:54 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electric Panel: I think I know the answer already.

Short version: My house's circuit breaker panel has 12 openings (plus the main), all of which are occupied. And, of course, we need to run at least two more circuits to provide power to part of our basement. (They need to be dedicated circuits of 15 amps each.)

Given that I've never done it before, replacing the electric panel myself is (a) not something I want to do myself and (b) dangerous and potentially illegal depending on where I live, correct?

What is it going to cost me (approximately) to replace the panel with something more expandable? My house was built in 1976, if that matters, and the electrical system has never been a problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-09, 03:01 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Depending on the size of the main breaker you may be able to just add a subpanel. Adding a subpanel can be a DIY project or at least cheaper if you have it professionally done. You may be able to add circuits to the existing panel if half breakers are permitted in your panel.

Old 11-02-09, 03:05 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Replacing the entire panel is the most expensive of the available options. You are correct in that it is usually not a DIY job because of the safety and skillset required to do it right.

Instead of replacement, many panels can use tandem breakers, which allow two circuits in one breaker slot. If you post the model and make of your panel we may be able to determine if tandems are allowed.

The next option is to install a subpanel next to the main, which is another full panel fed from a double pole breaker in the main. This can provide a lot of room for new circuits with only moderate expense compared to replacement of the main.

Old 11-02-09, 03:06 PM
R
Might be able to install tandem breakers. What is the name of your breaker box and model number. If that's all you need and don't think you'll need anymore that's the way to go for now. Let us know!
Thanks!
Jim

Old 11-02-09, 03:09 PM
R
ibpooks & ray, sorry about that. I didn't see you had the answer already. Anyway, great answer on the thread.

Jim