Is new wiring required in my kitchen`

Old 11-03-09, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is new wiring required in my kitchen`

Hi, I'm sure this question has been asked, but in all the threads i'm not finding any direct answer for my problems.

I'm in a 35 yr old apartment and we are making some changes to our kitchen which we now want a OTR microwave, i had looked into this briefly when i first moved in but didn't search hard enough and now am curious again. As i have been reading and otr microwave needs its own circuit, right? our breaker box is in the storage room, which isn't right beside the kitchen, how do you run the wire from there without tearing everything up? and if our breaker box is full does our electrician do a "sub panel" as i have heard referred. I really know nothing electrically so please correct me if i am way off base.

We also want to add a built in dishwasher, can that just be spliced off another outlet or do that need its own circuit?

I'm feeling overwhelmed with all that i don't know and don't want to waste an electricians time if this isn't possible at all or just too much money to do.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-09, 02:08 PM
You won't waste an electricians time by asking. I think you're goals are reasonable and an experienced electrician can get a wire almost anywhere with very little damage. Since this is an apartment you'll most likely need an electrician for this job by code anyways.

Do you need a sub panel? Maybe, maybe not. Some panels will accept a duplex breaker, it's basically two in one. If your panel will accept them they may be able to double up some of the existing circuits to make room for the new ones.

You do want a separate circuit for the microwave and another for the dishwasher.

Hope it helps.

Old 11-03-09, 03:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Nixienoodle View Post
As i have been reading and otr microwave needs its own circuit, right?
That is correct. An OTR microwave requires a dedicated 20A circuit.

how do you run the wire from there without tearing everything up?
There are a number of techniques -- the best situation would be if you have an accessible attic over or crawlspace/basement under the kitchen which the electrician could use to access the wall where the microwave will be installed. Even if it's necessary to remove some drywall, this can be repaired rather easily.

and if our breaker box is full does our electrician do a "sub panel" as i have heard referred. I really know nothing electrically so please correct me if i am way off base.
A subpanel or tandem breakers would be the two most common remedies for a full panel if necessary.

We also want to add a built in dishwasher, can that just be spliced off another outlet or do that need its own circuit?
Generally it needs a dedicated circuit. In some cases a dishwasher and a garbage disposal can share a circuit, however the dishwasher cannot share with countertop outlets. It technically can share with kitchen lights, but that produces a flickering effect during the cycle which is obnoxious.

I'm feeling overwhelmed with all that i don't know and don't want to waste an electricians time if this isn't possible at all or just too much money to do.
What you're describing is an everyday type job for an electrician so don't hesitate to call a couple out for estimates. Giving estimates and answering the client's questions is part of the job.

Old 11-03-09, 03:55 PM
Thank you for your responses....i just was feeling overwhelmed..and just need those answers from an electrician..I have made a call out hopefully they can help me.