Can I run non-service wires through the meter box?

Old 11-04-09, 07:12 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I run non-service wires through the meter box?

Hi, great site - first post - hoping I can get some advice:

I have a meter box on the outside of my attached garage.

The wires from the meter box lead through a very short conduit in the wall, to a circuit breaker panel which is on the inside of the attached garage i.e. directly behind the meter box.

I need to run wires from the breaker panel, through the wall to the outside - this is to power a well pump.

I'm hoping to run the well pump wires: from the breaker panel, through the existing service conduit in the wall, into the meter box, then out the side of the meter box to an LB which leads to conduit, then off to the well.

This way I would not have to drill through the brick wall and risk disturbing the barrier seal, etc.

Before I open the meter box, I'd have the Electric Company come pull the meter.

Thoughts? Is this allowed?

Thanks! Keith.

Old 11-04-09, 07:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
If your power company is similar to mine you would not be able to run any non-service conductors thru the socket enclosure. I also seem to remember a NEC article that prevents fused in with unfused conductors.

Old 11-04-09, 07:45 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 341 Likes on 307 Posts
Allowed or not, I wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure it would raise questions in the future, as it looks like you might be 'stealing' power.

A 1" hole through the wall, nicely caulked should not impact your home's weathertightness at all.

Just my opinion...

Old 11-04-09, 07:58 PM
nap
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is not legal per code, as pcboss suggested it might not be. As well as I know of no POCO that would allow it.

Old 11-04-09, 08:18 PM
F
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The short answer here is no 99.9% of POCO's will not allowed fused conductor go thru the meter socket at all it complety forbiden so you will have to find a other way to bring the conductor out.

Merci,Marc

Old 11-05-09, 07:09 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Appreciate the advice!

Great advice guys - had not considered the Power Company might have an issue with it. Guess I'll have to start drilling.....

Thanks again! Keith.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: