Question about branching off a middle-of-run outlet

Old 11-04-09, 09:03 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about branching off a middle-of-run outlet

I noticed that the home builder had branched off an electrical outlet in my garage in an unusual way and I wanted to know if it was code compliant to do this.

I have an outlet to which one can connect wires with or without bending the the wires (just insert into the slot and tighten the terminal screw). The electrician connected the outlets via the slots in the back, but branched another wire off of the outlet by bending the wires and connecting them to the terminal screws. Basically the electrician avoided using wire caps and pigtails to branch off the circuit.

I never had a problem with the outlet or the power in my garage, and the setup didn't look unsafe. I'm considering doing the same thing on an upcoming project in my home. But does code permit this?

Thanks.

Old 11-05-09, 08:43 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
The receptacle type is called "backwire", and I do not believe that it is permitted to backwire and wrap a wire around the screw at the same time. Although I see little reason to do so as a backwire receptacle can accommodate four wires on each side.

Old 11-05-09, 08:59 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have an outlet to which one can connect wires with or without bending the the wires (just insert into the slot and tighten the terminal screw).
The last part is where you are confusing two different types of receptacles. This sounds like a back-stab and the screws have nothing to do with holding the wires in back. In fact many electricians consider backstabbs less reliable.

There is a type of side wired receptacle where the wires are clamped by tightening the screws but they are expensive and not probably not what you have.

If you have more then two wires per side connect wires for each side together with a pigtail and run the pigtail to the receptacle. For best reliability don't use back stabs

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: