Wiring bathroom fan/light combo, and bathroom circuit ?'s

Old 11-06-09, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring bathroom fan/light combo, and bathroom circuit ?'s

Today I have started the wiring for the bathroom section of my addition. I am trying to wire and exhaust fan/light combo. This bathroom has two entries so I would like to control the light from 2 locations with 3 way switches and control the fan from only one location with a push button timer. I found only one diagram online that seems to do what I want but it is a little confusing partly because the heading at the top of the page and written directions does not match the diagram, I think they got the diagram on the wrong page. Anyway I would appreciate if anyone could check out the diagram and confirm that it will work and maybe simplify it a little if possible. The diagram is at

[URL="http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/switch-outlet/fan-light-combo/fan-light-switched-separately-power-at-light-controlled-by-2-3-way-switches-and-fan-at-1-location.php"]

If it helps the fan/light combo has coming from it two wires for the fan (black and white) and two wires for the light (blue and white).

Lastly is there any way possible to wire the whole bathroom off one circuit and still be code. I have read conflicting information about wiring outlets and lighting off the same circuit. The circuit will only supply that single bathroom and nothing outside of it. The bathroom will contain a total of 4 receptacles (GFI), one fan/light combo, and one vanity light.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-09, 12:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by firedog79 View Post
I would appreciate if anyone could check out the diagram and confirm that it will work and maybe simplify it a little if possible.
The diagram is one of many correct ways to do it -- it's pretty straightforward. Run 12/2 power into box1, run 12/3 from box1 to box, run 12/3 from box1 to fan. Box1 is a double gang which houses a light switch and the fan switch, box2 is a single gang which houses only a light switch.

The only slight modification to match your fan/light is that the two white wires would be combined at the fixture to make one; the diagram shows a fixture with only one white.

Lastly is there any way possible to wire the whole bathroom off one circuit and still be code.
Yes; there are two options when wiring a bathroom. A 20A circuit may power any loads in a single bathroom, or only the receptacles (no lights, fans, etc) in multiple bathrooms. There is no requirement that bathroom lights and fans be powered from any specific circuit.

Old 11-07-09, 12:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. I looked over the diagram some more and it makes more sense just looking at that and forgetting about all the wording on the page. I have run all the wires as shown but am still not certain on the connections at the fixture (fan/light) itself. Let's see if I got it right; the three white wires together (1 for fan, 1 for light, and 1 from box 1), black wire from box 1 to black wire from the fan, and red wire from box 2 to the blue wire from the light. Is that it?

Glad to hear I can do everything of the one circuit I thought I had seen somewhere that you could no longer combine lighting and receptacles in bathrooms at all but wasn't sure why that would be.

Old 11-07-09, 09:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by firedog79 View Post
Let's see if I got it right
Your plan is correct......