Help with 3-way receptacles

Old 11-06-09, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Help with 3-way receptacles

Hi all,

I'm working on adding a few shoplights in my workshop and am adding some receptacles up near the top of the wall to plug them in to. I'd like to control these lights from either of my two entrance doors, so of course I'm looking to install some 3-way switches.

I'm decent enough at DIY electrical wiring, but for some reason I just can't wrap my head around this particular wiring layout, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on it (no pun intended). I'm looking for two switches both controlling two duplex receptacles, with the power coming through one of the receptacles. I drew up a diagram to show how the circuit is laid out, I just don't know how to connect it up.

Here is the diagram:

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you all in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-09, 10:19 PM
Also, I should mention that if I absolutely had to, I can run the power source line to come in from one of the switches instead of through one of the receptacles, but would prefer not to as one receptacle is right next to the breaker panel, and both switches are about 15 ft away, don't want to waste wire if I don't have to.

Old 11-06-09, 11:05 PM
Are you running this in the conduit { pipe } or NM cable ? that will make the diffrence how it will be connected.

once I know which way you are running I will somehow make a drawing to show you the hook up.

Merci,
Marc

Old 11-06-09, 11:13 PM
Marc,

Thanks for the reply. This is being done with NM cable.

Regards,
JP Davis

Old 11-06-09, 11:28 PM
ok I will make a drawing I do not know when it will be done but it will be pretty soon otherwise you will see it in the moring { your time zone due I am in France }

Merci,
Marc

Old 11-07-09, 08:56 AM
Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the help.

Old 11-07-09, 08:58 AM
One of our member here will make a quick drawing and I will fill in the comment in few minutes to save time so you will see how it work out with the layout so hang on tight about 10 to 15 minutes

Merci,Marc

Old 11-07-09, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by Geektechnica View Post
Marc,

Thanks for the reply. This is being done with NM cable.

Regards,
JP Davis
I'm going to post these drawings and Marc is going to give you the details....especially the 4 wires between receptacles. I modified your diagrams to show the wiring.

There are two wiring diagrams for you to choose from. One is power to the receptacle first and one is power to a 3 way first. Big difference......

Marc may want a few technical changes... I had to get these done in a hurry but should get you on the right track.

Old 11-07-09, 09:26 AM
Merci { thanks } Stubbie for the drawings

Ok let start with the first drawing

as you see from the breaker to the first receptale you will have 14-2 NM cable ok as you see the black conductor from the breaker to first junction box the netural is tied to recepecatle netural that is fine with that part now with black power source that will go to the three way switch that black power lead will go to Common aka dark colour screw that is your common source now both red and white 14-3 conductor from the switch you will have to remarked so you know this is not a netural conductor at all { you can use either tape or marker get bleu one if you can so you can see where this goes } that will go to the first juncton box from there you will need two pairs of 14-2 NM's but make sure you mark one set is traveler or shuttle { as we call them in France } and one set will go to the other junction box and that will tranalted to 14-3 as drawing show again remark them so it is not a netural on one set plus 14-3 cable as well follow that and hook up to the shuttle termations that useally bright colours screws

once you get that part done now the black conductor from common screw on right three way switch will go to first receptale on the right as you see you will have to wirenut that one and take the second pair of 14-2 to second receptales and wire them in normal fashion but when you get back to the other recpectale box just watch out where you hook up the netural as you see the drawing the netural from breaker box will pigtail to recetpale plus a netual conductor from other receptale however let me give you a head up make sure you have deep well receptale boxes for both duplex due the numbers of conductors will fill up the box in the hurry. { if you have in conduit between the recepetales it will make it much eaiser to deal with it }

The second drawing That I really recomended it far much easier and less mistake to hook up and take far less room to deal with it the second drawing is very simple but I know it may take more 14-3 conductor but less chance of error.

BTW the person draw you see the grey colour that is netural

If you have more question just holler one of us will help ya

Merci,Marc

Old 11-07-09, 10:16 AM
Thanks a lot guys. I'll have to think this one over, the first diagram is much simpler as far as running more wire goes, I already have 14/3 running between the switches (about 30 feet apart) so all I'd have to do is add the 14/2 between the two receptacles.

On the other hand the second diagram seems far simpler to wire, and much cleaner as well. The only down side is I'll have to run wire from the panel to the first switch (10ft), then use the existing 14/3 to the other switch, then run more 14/2 about 20ft back to the first receptacle. It can be done, but using a lot of wire...

I think I'll go with the second option though, I have enough wire to do it, I'll just have to pull all my wall panels back off to run the extra wire, which is a pain, but not impossible (plywood walls in my shop).

Thanks again for all your efforts, you've really cleared this up for me.

Old 11-08-09, 03:19 PM
On the other hand the second diagram seems far simpler to wire, and much cleaner as well. The only down side is I'll have to run wire from the panel to the first switch (10ft), then use the existing 14/3 to the other switch, then run more 14/2 about 20ft back to the first receptacle. It can be done, but using a lot of wire...
Unfortunately the 2nd diagram was posted for simplicity reasons there is a 3rd and 4th option (I should have alerted you to those) that may fit your situation better. Sorry if it is too late...... I was just rushed for time the other day to get these put on the post.

Last edited by Bruto; 11-08-09 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-11-09, 10:18 PM
Thanks again.

I ended up going with your 3rd diagram, as it seemed the best as far as simplicity and not having to run very much more wire. It worked perfectly, I just plugged my shoplights in and fired them up.