dual switch to single switch and dual receptacle?

Old 11-08-09, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dual switch to single switch and dual receptacle?

hi all:

I am at my fathers place, and am hoping you can help as i am leaving soon and a bit of a newbie. he is currently running a garage door opener through a light switch with a receptacle bulb connection for the opener's plug.

I wanted to replace one of the switches with a receptacle but want to be sure i have the wiring correct.

i have a red wire going to the top of one switch and a black going to the top of the other. one white and one ground are coming in and are pigtailed to the bottom of both. there also appears to be a wire in the pack that has been cut back. can i make this work?

thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-09, 03:01 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
i have a red wire going to the top of one switch and a black going to the top of the other. one white and one ground are coming in and are pigtailed to the bottom of both.
The ground goes to the green screw only correct? If it is tied to the white you have serious problems.

From your description the white is not a neutral. The white wire is actually a hot wire. Without a neutral you can not install a receptacle. You don't have a complete power source for it.
there also appears to be a wire in the pack that has been cut back
Maybe it could be used as a neutral but that would depend on the wiring at the lights and if there is enough left to attach a pigtail to it.

Old 11-08-09, 03:08 PM
yes, sorry for confusion. the white and ground are going to different screws.

thanks for your quick response. how do i figure what box the power is actually coming from?

Old 11-08-09, 03:30 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
how do i figure what box the power is actually coming from?
Open up the boxes the lights are mounted on.

Old 11-10-09, 05:26 PM
right. thanks again. was looking for a magical "stud-finder" type solution, but iguess, without any drawings of the electrical, you have to check every box.

Old 11-10-09, 06:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
Sounds like you have a switch loop using 3 wire cable. What does the second switch control?

You may be able to pull power for the receptacle from the lighting junction box. Once you tell the number and colors of wires you can get more assistance.