Wiring Nut / Tape issue with Recessed lighting cans

Old 11-10-09, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring Nut / Tape issue with Recessed lighting cans

I am installing recessed lights in a soffet under construction in my master bedroom. I have installed the regular HALO 6" (new install) IC cans with wire nuts. All is fine, life is good.

Problem:
One non-HALO eyeball 5" special fixture has the junction box on top of its non-ICcan. This is a remodel type can I was forced to use thanks to space issues. They specify min. 90 deg. C. for the nuts and wire in the junction box. They then say to wrap the nuts in electrical tape (EHHH, here we go again!) The 3M vinyl tape is only rated at 80 deg C.

Why do they want the wire nuts wrapped with tape? I have read everyone's threads about the tape and nuts. Lets not get that started again.

My only guess is that they are concerned that the constant heating / cooling will may cause the nuts to loosen.

If I must wrap, I need 90 deg. C or higher tape. Any suggestions.

Rmsowell

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-09, 09:51 PM
3m super 33+ is rated to 105 deg celcius.

hope this helps

Old 11-11-09, 05:43 AM
I have installed many of these sorts of light fixtures and never used tape over wirenuts and have never found a wirenut that spun loose. Sounds like much ado about very little. Out of curiosity though, try asking the manufacturer.

Old 11-11-09, 05:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Wire nuts by themselves with properly stripped wires are enough. Don't go to the tape wire nuts thingy. We'll be here all day. I really like to use the newer push connectors in can lights. So much easier working over your head just pushing the connectors in rather than gathering them together and capping them. Some models come with them already installed. I thought it was Halo, maybe wrong.

Old 11-11-09, 10:49 AM
Halo does have the quick-connect style connectors. I am old fashioned and usually cut-um off and use wire nuts. I am using 12 AWG wire on a 20A circuit for these due to the number of fixtures on the circuit. I assume the HALO quick disconnect connectors are sized for 14 AWG, which is typically used for lighting.

I have some buchannan splice-caps I could use, but being solid wire, crimping may not be the best choice either.

Probally will use the wire nuts, with the higher temp tape, and let it go with that.

Old 11-11-09, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by rmsowell View Post
Halo does have the quick-connect style connectors. I am old fashioned and usually cut-um off and use wire nuts. I am using 12 AWG wire on a 20A circuit for these due to the number of fixtures on the circuit. I assume the HALO quick disconnect connectors are sized for 14 AWG, which is typically used for lighting.

I have some buchannan splice-caps I could use, but being solid wire, crimping may not be the best choice either.

Probally will use the wire nuts, with the higher temp tape, and let it go with that.
I was old fashion just like you about the wire nuts but the last house I did I put in 120 can lights in and those pull lock connectors saved me time and my hands. Yes, I beleive the push in type on HALO's will take a number 12. You can now buy this type in the stores also. Haven't had any problems at all with them.

Jim

Beer 4U2