Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Faulty Electrical wiring Causing very slow Internet speeds

Old 11-11-09, 04:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I got big problem, I have Time Warner Cable RoadRunner High Speed Internet Standard 10mbs service in my house (Riverside Ca.) and getting very poor speeds of 400kb/s to 1mb/s down & 550 kb/s up.

TWC Service and Maintenance Techs are speculating it might be rare electrical problem at house causing dramatic drop off in speeds. Here’s a run down of what they checked:

11/09
1) Service Tech from TWC came and checked line signal levels from cable, checked good.

2) Checked modem updated firmware, verified with three different modems including his laptop w built in modem, speeds checked equal with all setups around 650kb/s down & 750 kb/s up.

3) Bypassed all splitters making a direct run from drop line coming outside of the house to my router directly. Same nothing…

4) On driveway of my house Service Tech opened a Pedestal were a outside cable comes from nearby amplifier and checked signal levels, levels on his meter showed they were off.

Tech called Maintenance

1) Maintenance opened amplifier verified all signals with his meter, checked good.

2) Maintenance decided to check internet speeds from his laptop using my modem directly from amplifier connection using power from his trucks generator. Speedtest.net showed 21.85 mb/s down & 1.4 mb/s up …excellent!

3) On the other end he checked (pedestal on my driveway) checked speeds the same way, (from cable coming from amp). Speedtest.net showed a big drop off lowly 1.38mb/s down & 700 kb/s up.

4)Maintenance proceeded to replace faceplate (Connection device) from cable coming from amplifier w new one (claiming device can short out from indirect current running through house cable, which can be caused by faulty electrical wiring in house, i.e. back feeding neutral and such etc... He suggested might need Edison to check line outside and electrician inside.

After replacement of faceplate connecting device, checked speeds again from laptop/modem/generator, Speedtest.net show 19.7 mb/s down & 1mb/s up excellent! (proof device shorted out)

5) In pedestal connected back my cable line to the new faceplate connector using another port and rechecked speeds using laptop/modem/generator. Speedtest.net showed a drop off from 19 mb/s down to 8.3 mb/s down.

(Maintenance stated connection of my drop cable running from house was causing other ports to drop off speed. Again, claiming a probable bad current or signal caused from faulty wiring, and that if this is the case faceplate connection device in pedestal could short out again and soon.)

6) Maintenance proceeded to check speeds on the other end of the drop cable (coming out of the ground to house) using Laptop/modem/generator. Speedtest.net showed another drop from 8.3mb/s down 830 kb/s up (from Pedestal) to 5mb/s down & 879kb/s up.

Maintenance requested drop cable replacement to be done in next 36 hours and left.

7)Service Tech and I proceeded to check speeds in my room using of course power from home electrical outlet not a generator (hoping for at least 5mb/s speed like end of drop cable ) Not a chance 400kb/s to 600kb/s down & 539kb/s up.

8) last check Service Tech connected a straight cable run from pedestal connection measuring 19mb/s (bypassing bad drop cable) straight to my modem in my room *using power from house. Speedtest.net showed 600 kb/s down 540kb/s up…bad speeds. It’s looking like an electrical problem???

Can anybody help or had similar problems with electrical power in house dropping internet cable speeds?

I have electrical experience, Your input might help out diagnosing issue in house

Your comments are welcomed

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-09, 06:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I doubt any "electrical" problems in your house would cause bad internet speeds. Your speeds aren't that far out of line of the norm. What do the "techs" say your up and down speeds should be? If they aren't getting any better speeds directly from their drop, they aren't providing anything better. As always, if they can get you to believe there is a problem aside from their service, they can live another day.

Old 11-11-09, 08:17 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I read your post waiting for some explanation of what seemed to be pure BS on the techs part but didn't see one. Suggest you call then back and tell them you asked for help not fertilizer. The modem either works or doesn't work. It needs less then an amp to work. Your electric system can surely provide that. I doubt you voltage is below 110v so the voltage to it should be fine.

Old 11-11-09, 08:49 AM
I'm with Ray. Something doesn't smell quite right.

It looks like they are having problems with their line and are throwing it back at you by claiming you have power problems. If there is a problem, their cable modem would have a LOT to do with it.

I do think you have a line problem. I also suspect that there may be a problem with the cable modem. Did he put the original one back?

Why did he not just run his laptop off of a battery? Do you have a UPS? Can you run your modem/computer off of that for a few minutes to check speeds?

Old 11-11-09, 09:33 AM
nap
first, it is obvious, as the tech did call for a new line, your underground feed has been compromised in some way.

Now, since you have a problem there, all bets are off as to getting any reasonable trouble shooting at any point beyond that.

before they come back, you need to check a couple things:

house voltage at the recep you are using for the computer. I would also check the voltage (same recep) while the computer is on, plugged in, and hopefully while trying to download something.

I doubt it is a problem but if you have a poor electrical connection, the (slightly) increased current draw could cause a voltage drop. I doubt this is the problem but when trouble shooting, you check all available items you can check to simply eliminate them.

then, you need to verify the electrode grounding system in your house. All connections need to be clean, water pipe, ground rods, Ufer ground; all of them need to be connected well.

then, the internet line should be going through a ground block that needs to be connected to the electrode system as well.

all connections need to be clean and free of corrosion. Corrosion itself, can actually a dirty interference on the grounding system.

Then, whatever kind of wiring your system uses; make sure that all connections are shiny clean.

If you use a coax cable, eliminate all splitters to the jack you are using. Splitters do go bad and can cause a lot of problems. Eliminating them, at least temporarily is the best way to trouble shoot. If need be, get a couple F connectors so you can bypass splitters temporarily.

If you are good in all those areas, it comes down to their stuff or your computer. Obviously to eliminate your computer, use a different computer.

If the second computer gets the same throughput, it is obviously their problem and they simply need to fix whatever their problem is.

Old 11-11-09, 10:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
I'd agree with the others... 99.999% not a power problem.

Your problem is coming from one or more of the following:
- Bad cables/splitters/connectors
- Bad modem
- Bad computer

It sounds like you and the tech were able to confirm that it was (is?) a bad underground cable. If the modem worked fine from his truck, it sounds like it isn't the modem. Not sure if you tested it with his laptop in your house, so I'm not sure if the computer has been ruled out.

The modem uses one of those wall wart power supplies which are known for "dirty power". The circuity in the modem and similar equipment is designed and built to handle voltage fluctuations and such since the power supplies are intentionally built cheaply. That's why I highly doubt it's a power problem on your end.

I would also agree with Nap that you should check to ensure the cable entering the house is well grounded to a nearby water pipe or electrical system. Cable companies are notorious for "connecting" their ground to a piece of painted conduit, or the stem of an outdoor faucet. If the cable entering the house isn't well bonded/grounded, it's possible that is your problem.

Regardless - it's the cable company's problem. They have testers that measure error rates and such, they should be able to pinpoint the problem.

Old 11-11-09, 02:42 PM
First thanks for all your replies.

I tested all receptacles for proper voltage and wiring all good. No bad connection reverse neutrals etc..

Modem seems to be good, everywhere techs tested their laptops and then modem posted same speeds. When it was good both were good when it was bad both were bad.

I decided to do dirty test

At about 7:00am I ran pc and modem from outside directly from electrical panel using romex cable & a receptacle bypassing my homes electrical circuitry to see if indeed there was a problem with the electrical wiring.

Bingo! ran speedtest and speakeasy benched from 10mb/s down as high as 3.1 mb/s down & 1 mb up. I couldn't get past 1mb/s down from same setup in my room.

However,after some TWC guys came by and installed a new drop line from pedestal to house. I decided to try it again hooked everything up from outside to panel and connecting modem directly to drop line (no splitters no long run.) speeds came back to earth Real bad 400kbs-650kbs.

Wonder if that faceplate connector in pedestal shorted out again.

Old 11-11-09, 03:18 PM
Definitely get TWC back.

As to why you can get higher speeds right off of the drop outside, do you have any splitters leading to your room? How is that Coax?

Old 11-11-09, 03:22 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Probably to many people on your node. Unlike MaBells broad band the speed drops each time someone else logs on. That is something the cable company can't fix cheaply and therefore won't admit to.

Try the forum: Road Runner forum - dslreports.com broadband community for more help.

Old 11-11-09, 05:06 PM
nap
it sounds like you have a cable or splitter problem in the house plus a couple other possibilities.

Your dirty test pretty much confirmed some defect in your house wiring. As I said before, usually it is a splitter although I would not put a mouse chewed cable out of the picture either.

just to be sure; at some time in the past, you did have better speeds, yes?

I understand that traffic will cause a slowdown but this is a bit too extreme to put off on that. Just to be sure though; run tests around 3o am. That is usually the time the least amount of users are on

Old 11-11-09, 05:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
Perhaps the cable run thru your house or one of the terminations is poor. You could have a crimp.

Are your cable runs CAT5 or are they coaxial cable? If coax, what type of coax, RG59 or RG6?

Old 11-11-09, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Another thought: I was having an issue on my phone line (TONS of noise) one time. Had a tech come out and he said their line was good and the problem was in the house. Tracked it down to a faulty fax machine. Disconnect it and all was good. Maybe some other piece of equipment is back feeding to the cable line.

Try disconnecting everything (TV, phone if you have VoIP, etc) from your cable lines and your network. Then try using the new line they laid out.

I don't believe your issue is your power lines.