The New Panel Is In

Old 11-11-09, 05:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The New Panel Is In

Thanks for everybody's help. I learned a ton doing this. Now I can finally pull power to the shop.

Thinnking it wold take an electrician 2 hours, I programmed 4 hours, it took 4.5 including failing the first inspection. I got dinged on grounding. I knew if I got dinged that is where it would be. The range is 220 but is 2 hots and a bare ground. Inspector said that bare ground is now considered a neutral so I had to tape as much of it as I could and extend it also. Among other issues the old box had was no ground strap grounding the box itself to the bus, so had to fix that too. The original work was cheap and shoddy. I also fixed some illegal wiring at the air handler in the basement.

Here's a pic of the new work, waiting for the PoCo. New box is the taller one on the left. Oh yeah, that power control module hanging under the old box? Inspector said it is not rated for inside, so had to hang it outside. PoCo came to put the power back on and said he didn't know if it was rated for exposure. He's checking. He says normally they put them inside where the WH is. Just one more thing that wasn't done right the first time.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-09, 06:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
Could you post a link back to the original post?

Old 11-11-09, 07:22 AM
Sure. There were two - this one:
http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...ng-wiring.html

and this one:
http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...a-service.html

The new panel location/wire routing was a concern because of the length of conduit and the height of the new main breaker in the new panel. In the end this was the cleanest way to do it. The conduit is still a few inches longer than the 24" and the main breaker is an inch or two higher than strict code but I showed the inspector I can still reach it.

I learned a ton doing this and wanted to say thanks again. Assuming the weather holds, in 10 days I will do the sub for the shop. 90A service and using 2-2-4-6 Al. Around here it is known as mobile home feeder. 2 ground rods and #6 ground wire at the sub.

One question I did have - my old main was fed by Al SE. How the heck do you bend that? Pipe Bender? I just cut it out with bolt cutters rather than try to fish it back through.

Old 11-11-09, 11:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
Could you post the pic of your finished job? It is not in the original post.

Bending SE is just a matter of applying enough pressure. Sometimes preforming works and then finese into final position.

Old 11-11-09, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
Could you post the pic of your finished job? It is not in the original post.
Ooops. Here it is, waiting for the PoCo to put the meter back. Old panel on the right, new on the left. What you can't see is the reworked ground wire and getting rid of 4 split bolts and 3 splices.