Intermittent Power Outage

Old 11-11-09, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Power Outage

I'm having intermittent power shutting down on one home electrical circuit (for 2 bedrooms, and hallway and bathroom built-in overhead lighting). Periodically, when I turn on a random light switch or appliance on this circuit, power immediately shuts down just on this circuit. Then without doing anything, power returns in about 3~5 minutes. The circuit breaker is not tripped. This occurs maybe 1 in ten times when turning on something, even when nothing else on the circuit is on (don't think it's overloaded).

Resetting the circuit breaker does not do anything. There is no GFCI outlet on this circuit. I've checked all outlets and switches for faulty wiring, but all seem OK. I've checked for a faulty appliance or extension cord, but all work OK and are OK on other circuits. I've replaced the 15A circuit breaker with an identical new one without any changes. All neutral and ground connections in the breaker panel are firm. The breaker is inserted solid with a good connection and is not loose.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-09, 09:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
There's a loose connection that you missed. A common culprit is a bad backstab connection at a receptacle or at a switch. Move any backstabbed wires to the adjacent screw terminals. Replacing the receptacles and switches can't hurt either as there could be something loose in one of those.

Old 11-11-09, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changed connections from backstabs to screw terminals, - this alone seems to have corrected it, as the problem hasn't recurred since! Thank you so much for your quick and very helpful advice!