How to replace cord inside swing arm lamp?

Old 11-11-09, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How to replace cord inside swing arm lamp?

The picture shows the swing arm - the pen is where the base connects; the bare wires are where the socket/bulb connect. Link to Picture
----------
I want to replace the wire but have 2 problems:
1. Pulling on either end does not move it.
2. I don't know how to open or separate the pivot (at center of swing arm). I did remove a cover at the base of the pivot - but do not know if/how the pivot can open further.

Any ideas how to replace the cord? thanks

Last edited by 222fbj; 11-11-09 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-09, 01:52 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Your image doesn't load.

Old 11-11-09, 05:26 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I rewired a Similar Lamp

I got the image to load.
Anyway I rewired a similar lamp (Mine was white but the same swing arm) and I opened up the bottom of the swing arm (The cover you said was removable) I used a sharp tool to pull the old wire out of one the sides of the arm and then I was able to pull the old wire though (Don't worry if you damage it as you will now have to replace it anyway) Getting the new wire was a challenge as the arm does not come apart make sure you get SPT-1 I know it is not sold anymore but I was able to find it at a corner hardware store (If it is a tall lamp buy about 15FT and then when you are done shorten it at the bottom of the lamp if you want to) Anyway you will want to thread the wire through the arm (Make sure you thread it before you split the Zip cord as when its split is is impossible to go through) and then when you see it go to the middle of the arm use a non sharp tool to bend the wire through the second bend and then you should be able to push and pull if with a pair of pliers if you need more slack to connect your sockket (But be careful not to damage the new wire other wise you will have to pull it again) And here is some basic lamp wiring info the Neutral wire is the ribbed wire and the hot is the non-ribbed wire.
The neutral goes to the silver screw and the wide prong and the hot goes to the brass colored screw and the smaller prong on the plug
I hope my long winded post will help you get your lamp working again

Old 11-11-09, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will try your method... but what is "SPT-1" ?
I assume it is a type of cord... Is there another type I should use, if SPT-1 is not available?

Old 11-12-09, 08:12 AM
Yes SPT-1 is a type of cord (Commonly called Zipcord) but UL no longer has it listed for "Portable Luminaries" Lamps because it has less insulation then the SPT-2 Counterpart less insulation means in is thinner and easier to work with in older fixtures and lamps. I recommend searching Google for "SPT-1" and you should come up with a place to buy it. I will search for you latter but I have to step out of the house now

Old 11-12-09, 02:10 PM
SPT-1 TX Lamp Parts

Here is a link to buy some lamp wire I don't know what color you wanted so I posted the link to the whole category page remember you will need about 15FT of the SPT-1 wire + a polarized plug + a socket of your choice

Old 11-12-09, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the help, CircuitBreaker!
Originally Posted by CircuitBreaker View Post
Here is a link to buy some lamp wire I don't know what color you wanted so I posted the link to the whole category page remember you will need about 15FT of the SPT-1 wire + a polarized plug + a socket of your choice