Two Junction Boxes in One Line?

Old 11-12-09, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Two Junction Boxes in One Line?

Hi there,
Electrical noob here with maybe a basic question. We currently purchased a new home with a double electric wall oven. The existing oven was pushing 30 years old with various issues so we decided to buy a new convection double oven. The install instructions state the junction box needs to be no more than 5 inches from the top of the cutout. After pulling out the old oven, I found that after moving the current junction box as far as the existing wiring would allow I'm still short about 3 feet to the top of the cutout. My thought was to install an additional junction box to allow for the extra length needed rather than having an electrician run a new length of wire from the service panel. Is this doable?

Thanks,
John

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-09, 01:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I guess my first question is if this existing wiring is sufficient to support the new oven? Many newer convection ovens use more power than their older counterparts requiring a new circuit be installed anyway. That's worth checking before worrying about the junction box position.

What size of type of wiring do you currently have? Number of wires, colors, aluminum or copper, AWG and breaker size? What are the wiring specs of the new oven?

Generally it would be okay to add a junction box for a short extension, however the position of the junction box is probably mentioned due to the depth of the oven. It may not fit in the hole if the junction box is right behind the opening. You may need to recess the box into the wall or perhaps move it into the back of an adjacent cabinet.

Old 11-12-09, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pardon the lack of technical description.

4 wires (red,white,black and copper ground)
All copper
10/3 wire (gauge?)

Oven requirements were
120/240-6.1
100/208-5.3

I want to say our breaker is 30 amp but that's probably wrong.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 11-12-09, 02:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
A 30A breaker would be the appropriate size. It looks like your wiring is correct for the new oven. A junction box with a short extension would be okay if necessary. Be sure to use 10/3g cable for the extension and wirenuts that are rated for (2) #10 conductors.