Defective outdoor extension cord?

Old 11-14-09, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Defective outdoor extension cord?

The first six feet of my outdoor extension cord has constricted into a tight, wavy cord. Is this an unsafe defect?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-09, 04:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Extension cords are for temporary use only. Are you using this all year round? If the insulation has been damaged by UV or whatever else, you need it replaced.

Old 11-14-09, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
I doubt the cord is unsafe unless the insulation is broken. Cords will get twisty like that if they are commonly tightly wound. It is a good practice to coil a cord up with both ends loose so that any twisting can be freed.

Old 11-14-09, 05:24 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I've got one, that looks like it is coiled, too. Works fine, but the guys don't like it. So I retired it to my Diesel heater plug. Ugly, but it works .

Old 11-14-09, 07:32 PM
Cord is about 50' long. I have used it mainly in the summer for leaf blower, weedeater, etc. for five or six years. Always coiled it after each use. Sometimes connected it to a second cord. No breaks in the insulation. Just this wavy section that seems to be expanding (getting longer).

Old 11-14-09, 07:52 PM
I don't see a problem but if you don't feel it's safe, you can cut that first 6' off and put a new end on it. I have alway told people when in dout throw it out. Cords are somewhat low price.

Thanks!
jim

Old 11-15-09, 01:20 AM
I have the same issues with my 100-footers. I've had them for over 10 years and never had a problem. They do leaf-blower duty, weed-wacker duty, and edger duty all summer. In the spring they are coupled to bring power across the parking lot to the boat at the marina. Both ends of both cables look like they belong on a telephone handset.

Still, I run them through my fingers the entire 200 feet before every use to feel for rips & tears in the insulation.

Old 11-15-09, 04:40 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Just to clarify, my guys won't use it because the coils stick up off the floor sometimes and create a trip hazard. Not because they think it won't carry the current. It is a 12 gauge cord. Heavy but kinky.

Old 11-15-09, 06:39 AM
Thanks! I feel better about using it a while longer unless an obvious problem appears.