leaving cables for future use

Old 11-14-09, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
leaving cables for future use

I want to leave a cable that will run from a receptacle in bedroom, down bottom plate to floor joist cavity below. then leave it in there. in future I may cut hole in floor at foot of bed and put a floor receptacle in for a flat panel TV. can I put cable in the live box in bedroom, strip sheathing off it, and then just wire nut the individual wires. and on other end just staple it up in floor joists near location where foor to bed above will be.

or if it is not going to be connected at this time do I have to leave it out of the box?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-09, 04:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You will have to encase both ends in an exposed junction box. The one where you plan on hooking it hot will be fine, but the other end will need to be in a jbox as well and covered until the time you plan on making the final use. Write on the sheathing on both ends what the plans are for the cable lest you or the future owners forget.

Old 11-15-09, 04:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
You may want to consider running 2 PVC conduits to this location. It will allow you to run the electric when you need it, and also pull through coax/network/whatever cables you'll need to run the TV.

Just a thought...