Steam Shower electrical installation question

Old 11-16-09, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Steam Shower electrical installation question

My Steam Shower jsut arrived, and upon reading through the instructions it seems to have thrown me another curve. The online specs indicated use of 220v 20 amp GFCI breaker, so I ran 12-3 wire up to my bath. The installation instructions and the physical wiring call for two live wires and a ground. Per the instructions:"there are 3 wires connected with power, the green one is connected with the ground wire, and the ohter 2(one is black and the other is white) are connected with the 240v double live wires. There is no neutral wire in this system."

My question, do I just not use one of the wire in my 3-wire cable? I thought it would require using black on one pole, and red on the other pole of the breaker, run the ground and white to the breaker box connectors. So, what happens to the white at my shower connection, do I just cap it off?

Thanks,

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-09, 10:52 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You are saying you ran 3 conductor plus ground cable? If so red and black go to the breaker. The white is capped off and not used. Ground is to the ground/neutral bar at the panel (ground bar if a sub panel) and ground at the fixture.

Old 11-16-09, 12:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by 65Mustang View Post
(one is black and the other is white)
This is where the manufacturer screwed up -- the white wire coming out of the steam generator should be some other color like black, red or blue. I would mark that wire with ink or colored tape to indicate that it is actually a hot wire.

As Ray said, the white wire in the cable you installed is not used. Cap it off and leave the extra coiled up in the box.

Old 11-16-09, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Steam generator question

Thanks for the replies.

Since the specs online called for 220v I ran 12-3 cable (3 wires-red, black, and White, plus the bare ground copper cable) while I was waiting for the actual unit to arrive. Since the wires on the steam shower unit are bare vs. a plug, am I correct that all I need to do is wire screw the black to black, the white (steam unit) to red, ground to ground, and then cap the white from my 12-3? Do I cap the white at the breaker, or do I connect it to the GFI as would be the normal case?

Thanks,

Jim

Old 11-16-09, 02:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by 65Mustang View Post
the black to black, the white (steam unit) to red, ground to ground, and then cap the white from my 12-3?
Correct.

Do I cap the white at the breaker, or do I connect it to the GFI as would be the normal case?
Either is okay I would connect it to the breaker. However the curly white pigtail from the GFCI breaker to the neutral bus must be installed for the breaker to operate correctly.