PVC conduit connection to Sub-panel

Old 11-16-09, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PVC conduit connection to Sub-panel

Normally when running metal conduit to a box I use a connector that is inserted into the box with a locknut. Now I'm using 1-1/2 PVC and I need to connect it to the sub-panel.

From what I could figure out at Lowes is to connect the conduit to the panel you put a PVC Junction adapter through the knockout hole from the inside of the panel and glue a coupling on from the outside sandwiching the bottom of the panel in between the two. Is this correct? I saw some couplings with male threads but didn't see any type of nut to use with it. So thought the adapter was the way to go. Here is a link to the adapter: Box Adapters, 1 Piece, 1 1/2 In, PVC - Conduit Fittings - Conduit Fittings - Electrical : Grainger Industrial Supply

Also, when the cable comes into the panel does it need to be clamped? Using the adapter/coupling method I see no way to clamp it.

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-09, 03:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by brian2071 View Post
I saw some couplings with male threads but didn't see any type of nut to use with it.
Use this fitting with the same type of lock ring / lock nut you would use with metal pipe. The threads match.

Also, when the cable comes into the panel does it need to be clamped?
No clamp.

Old 11-17-09, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As was said, you can use the male threaded coupler and a metal lock nut. I will be using the box adapter that you linked to for a job I have because there is no room to insert the threaded coupler so I will cut the conduit to length, insert it then stick the box adapter through.

Old 11-18-09, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
The part you are looking is many times called a male adapter. We call it a PVC connector. As the others posted, it works with steel locknuts.