Miele Oven Installation and j Box placement

Old 11-17-09, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Miele Oven Installation and j Box placement

I'm replacing two electric ovens with new Miele ovens in existing undercounter locations. My question is the manufacturer 4 wire wip have crimp ends on all wires. The instructions however say they should be connected at junction box. Do I simply cut the crimp ends away and attach at JB with wire nuts? Also, my existing JB were located under the cabinet base that the ovens sit on. Ovens are side by side horizontal under counter and sitting just on top of kickplate on 3/4 inch plywood. Plywood is cut away to expose subfoor below where J Boxes are also located. There was no cover on either box and the boxes were just sitting on subfloor. Question: does this meet code? Should I secure and cover JB after connections made? Can JB be attached to exposed basement ceiling below so that access is easier then pulling out oven to get to box? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-09, 10:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by daisy1 View Post
Do I simply cut the crimp ends away and attach at JB with wire nuts?
Yes you may.

Question: does this meet code? Should I secure and cover JB after connections made?
JBs should be secured and covered. The position under/behind the oven is okay as long as the box is accessible when the oven is removed and there is enough slack in the cable to completely remove the oven.

Can JB be attached to exposed basement ceiling below so that access is easier then pulling out oven to get to box?
That's okay too, but I would still make sure to leave enough slack so the oven can be removed from above.

Old 11-17-09, 12:14 PM
Excellent

Thanks for your prompt replies. Any local code issues I should be concerned with before starting? I'm in MA. Thanks
Not important, but is securing to terminal block within junction box a preferable method over wire nuts?

Old 11-17-09, 12:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by daisy1 View Post
Any local code issues I should be concerned with before starting? I'm in MA. Thanks
The most common code issue with cooking appliances is reusing old grandfathered three-wire circuits instead of modern four-wire circuits. Also, sometimes existing range/oven wire is aluminum. Do either of these situations apply to you?

Not important, but is securing to terminal block within junction box a preferable method over wire nuts?
Either is fine. If you have copper wire and you use the right size wirenut they should be just as reliable. Aluminum has special considerations.

Old 11-17-09, 12:32 PM
Thank you very much. My wire is copper and it is 4 wire so I guess I'm all set. Was going to use the red B2 caps that were used with the prior ovens.