When to upgrade industrial panel??

Old 11-23-09, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When to upgrade industrial panel??

haven't been here awhile, question for the masses. Industrial setting, panel is indoors not exposed to the elements. At what point in time do I need to replace an old, prolly late 70's early 80's era. 800A FPE panel. I have 5 services here at this location, this is the oldest 480V serivice I have. I don't like FPE, but on the other hand this panel is not giving trouble. I've been asked to look at building upgrades for the coming year. Thanks much for any info, experience you guys have.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-09, 09:24 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Unless there are problems or there is a change in the future that this panel would cause a problem for, I do not see any reason to just replace it. That is not that old of a panel.

the one thing that would make me consider a change out is:

are breakers readily available for whatever model panel it is?

Old 11-23-09, 09:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
As long as the panel seems to be in good condition and there is no expected increase in load, I see no reason to replace it.

Old 11-23-09, 11:21 AM
Another thing to think about as well is that newer breakers/boards have more advanced metering and communications. If electrical usage data is important to your organization, upgrading the panel would be the easiest way to capture more data.

Old 11-23-09, 12:11 PM
Businesses like things which save money in the long run. Explore ideas which will reduce energy costs if possible.

Old 11-23-09, 12:28 PM
Thanks for all the answers, We do monitor all our services with the old Westinghouse IMPACC system, think CH has it now. Maybe should just stick with this one for now. Can't anticipate adding anything to it in the future. Just reviewing capital project potentials for the coming year and this was suggested.

Old 11-23-09, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Jedi9 View Post
Thanks for all the answers, We do monitor all our services with the old Westinghouse IMPACC system, think CH has it now. Maybe should just stick with this one for now. Can't anticipate adding anything to it in the future. Just reviewing capital project potentials for the coming year and this was suggested.
How critical is this application. I have found many problems on critical loads with thermal imaging (infrared camera). It might be worth hiring someone to scan your equipment. That could give you an indication of any problems you may have with your FPE panel.