is this normal

Old 11-23-09, 01:47 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
is this normal

in my breaker box i have 2 20amp breakers numbered #6 and #16. the power from #6 goes to the kitchen where there are 3 wires going into the outlet box, 2wht and 1 red. there is 1wht and 1red wired to the outlet and the other white is pigtailed to a black wire going to a link of other outlets on breaker #16.
can it be that the second white wire coming into the outlet box is wired alone to the #16 breaker?
sorry if this doesn't make sense but i am a rookie.

Old 11-23-09, 02:44 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Is there a problem you're trying to diagnose or are you just exploring?

What is the position of the breakers relative to each other? Different boxes have different numbering schemes. Do the wires from #6 and #16 leave the panel in the same cable or different cables? We'll also need more details about the receptacle box such as a description of all the wires in the box and what cables they come from. A link to digital pictures of the insides of the relevant box(es) helps us a lot too.

Old 11-23-09, 03:52 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i am redoing my kitchen and need to move some outlets.
#6 and #16 breakers are on the same side in the breaker box, #16 is 5 below #6. the wires from both breakers come into the outlet box via the same run of conduit, 2whites and a 1red.
the red wire and one of the white wires are connected to the outlet and the other white wire is pigtailed to a black wire which routes to three other outlets along with a seperate white wire. then there is another white and black wire coming off the outlet that routes to an outlet under the sink.
i will get a picture to help with my explanation but do you kind of follow along with what i'm describing?

Old 11-24-09, 09:03 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
I think I follow what you're saying, but the trouble is that if I do understand then your wiring is pretty messed up. Perhaps some pictures will bring some clarity.

Old 11-24-09, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: