combo arcfault issue; maybe bad?

Old 11-23-09, 03:15 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
combo arcfault issue; maybe bad?

Hi all, I have a combo arc fault tripping when using reptiles UVB lamp self ballasted 100 watt mercury vapor by mega-ray but works fine on another combo breaker running extension cord so far. Is there anything in the self ballasted mercury vapor lamp that would deteriorate because it worked for about a week on the first combo arc breaker? First few days no problem, fifth day when pc started and now every 30min. Checked to make sure wires are securely screwed down and all looks good. Saw no code blinking from breaker L.E.D. trip diagnostic. Thinking about swapping it out with another but I do not want to destroy another breaker if an issue. Wasn’t sure if there is any controlled arcing for how the bulbs work and not compatible. Sincerely Dan K,

Old 11-23-09, 03:37 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
The lamp should work just fine with the breaker -- my guess is defective breaker. Check with the breaker manufacturer for replacement options.

Old 11-23-09, 05:53 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you have some spare time, might want to fill out the AFCI unwanted tripping report at the link below. They are trying to design these better so these problems will not happen.

They need specifics of devices which trip the AFCI's...

AFCISafety.org :: AFCI Unwanted Tripping Report

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: