Outlets working intermittedly & not tripping circuit

Old 11-24-09, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Outlets working intermittedly & not tripping circuit

Hello, any help suggestions that you might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 4 separate outlets controlled by one circuit breaker that seem to be malfunctioning. two of the outlets are within 6 feet apart from each other on separate walls near one common corner. I have replaced each outlet with new ones throughout residence.

Recently the outlets started working awkwardly, specifically the only appliance on them is a medium fish tank with has a small number of amps with a timer for a 18w fluorescent light. I have noticed lately that once the light kicks on that the outlets go dead, sometime for only a minute or two other times for longer periods. (works fine on seperate circuit outlet) On the exterior wall outlet is feeding current to the other adjacent outlet within 6 feet. I checked the splicing removed and re tightened the caps. when the power does cut off from the outlets, the circuit breaker has not tripped but the only quick way to restore power is to reset it. I have not replaced the circuit breaker and am unsure if it is necessary. any thoughts here, please help

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-09, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Go back and check your work, and the other outlets. You have a poor connection that makes/breaks as the connection heats up. It could be a neutral or a hot, but I would guess a neutral.

NEVER use push in connection outlets. All connections on screws should have the wire wrapping clockwise, so when you tighten the screw, it tightens the connection.

Aluminum or copper?? If aluminum, make sure outlets are rated for AL.

Old 11-24-09, 05:55 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Bad connection could be in a ceiling fixture box, or a switch box, or a Jbox also. I'd suggest replacing not just checking wire nuts.