Main Panel Installation

Old 11-27-09, 06:58 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Main Panel Installation

About to install a Square D 30 position/40 circuit 200 amp load center.

The "feed" is from 4/4/4/2 cables coming from the slab in PVC conduit.

I want to install the panel upside down so the "large" bulky wire of the main feed can be wired to the lugs at the bottom intead of looping and bending them around to be installed at the top.

I called tech support at Square D and they indicated there was no problem with doing so, but the only comments were the "access door" would open to the opposite side and the "legend" would have to be changed so naming the circuits would be in the right order (top to bottom). They said it would be best to ask the inspectors before doing so.

I called the county building inspectors and got the run around and someone told me to look at the electrical code or check with an electrician. I talked to an electrician that told me it shouldn't be a problem but check with an inspector since they "can be difficult".....

Now getting a but stubborn about it and really want it to be the way I think the insides would be easiest and "roomiest"..

Anyone know that its likely an inspector can find a valid reason to reject the installation if the panel is upside down?

Old 11-27-09, 07:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 113 Votes on 98 Posts
There would only be an upside down if the breakers operated in a vertical manner. Up is required to be ON. Square D mains operate in the horizontal manner. Square D does not label the larger panels with UP or Down.

There is no requirement for breaker one to be the top left. The requirement is for the breakers and load served to be identified.

If I were you, unless space is a consideration, would be to install the 200 amp full size 40 circuit panel.

I hope you meant 4/0 AL conductors and not #4.

Old 11-28-09, 12:36 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
residentail panel

is this a metered main residential panel?

or just a sub 200 amp main lug only panel feed off a switch gear?

and which model of square d panel is it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: