Please Help, Diagram Attached

Old 11-29-09, 11:13 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please Help, Diagram Attached

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a new house and it was renovated (aside from all new electric) but some electric work was done. The overall electric in the house is in pretty good condition according to my inspector. The house was built in 52. All of the outlets and switches were replaced with shiny new ones. Some of the outlets were grounded at our request before closing.

However one of the switches in the kitchen was not replaced. It has two switches and I have attached a diagram showing how it operates and how the wires are going into it. Another thing I thought was strange was that there wasn't an individual breaker in my breaker box for this switch. I had to kill the main to get it to shut off. I want to replace this old set of switches, they look terrible and are covered in paint but I'm not sure what to do after opening it. Can anyone take a look at my diagram and give me some insight.

Thanks!

Old 11-29-09, 11:45 AM
B
I like to do things right or not at all. Also I use my electrical switches and outlets daily, it makes life more pleasant if everything functions as it should.

So I would install a double gang electrical box where the two switches are, then install "3-way" switches for the light and a regular switch for the outside light.

And I would cut open the drywall and run new wires as needed.

If you want to do this and want to do it yourself, learn how to do drywall. You can build your own small 2 x 4 frame wall in the backyard and practice before attempting this on your house.

Then get a book on wiring at a home improvement store and read it cover to cover. (They should also have books on drywall.)

3 way switch wiring...
Wiring Diagrams for Residential Electrical Wiring Projects | Ez DIY Electricity

Old 11-29-09, 11:50 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Lights

We need to know where the power wire is located for these lights.

The kitchen overhead light is controlled by two 3-way switches.

The outside light is controlled by a single pole switch.

Tell us about the power wire(s) for these lights.

I agree with Bill.

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 11-29-09 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Added last statement.
Old 11-29-09, 12:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Hopefully the "electrician" miswired the three way switches. It happens. Tell us how many wires go to the single switch and to the top switch on the double configuration and what colors of wires are attached to which screws.

Old 11-29-09, 12:11 PM
B
I think the switches controlling the overhead light might be regular single pole switches? And I suspect the wiring is not there for 3-way switches?

Old 11-29-09, 12:43 PM
J
Would it be safe to assume that the incoming power for these switches is on the one with the control for the outside light as well? Being that if its not in the "on" position then the single switch won't work?

Also I would love to learn to do drywall but most of the wall in this area is all beautifully hand tiled with some type of synthetic stone and the last thing I would want to do is rip it open just to replace some wiring..

Chandler the grey box showing the white/red/black wires on the bottom of my diagram is how the top switch is wired.. it has a black coming in on the left, and on the right side it has a white wire (neutral) but also a red (hot?).. this is where I'm confused...

Old 11-29-09, 12:47 PM
J
Bill looking at the top diagram in the link you showed me it looks like the red should be going from one switch on the wall to the other switch, correct? Where i'm confused is that there is not only a red, but there are two blacks?? so there are three hot wires, correct? Assuming I test them all out with a volt meter..

this is what I can't figure out..

Old 11-29-09, 01:16 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Cables

Tell us how many cables are in each box and the colors of the wires in each cable.

Old 11-29-09, 04:50 PM
B
Originally Posted by JohnMatrix
Bill looking at the top diagram in the link you showed me it looks like the red should be going from one switch on the wall to the other switch, correct?
Ignore that link I placed above. That would be for if you wanted to rip out the walls, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: