Check/Replace a Dryer Circuit Breaker

Old 11-29-09, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Check/Replace a Dryer Circuit Breaker

Hello all, My second dryer, in three weeks, runs;but does not produce any heat. Both dryers have the same issue. I looked at the dryer manual for trouble shooting. It recommended to check the Dryer Circuit Breaker. I checked the breaker; it was not tripped. I reset the breaker, and checked the dryer 4 prong outlet; the 120v & 220v prongs, all, lid up. I am not sure what is wrong with the circuit breaker. I suspect the circuit breaker because it is hard to believe the both dryers have the same problem. Does anyone have any idea. I am thinking of replacing the breaker. Do you have any advise? Thank you very much, Khoa

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-09, 11:41 PM
Let start at the basic first .,

How did you read the power on the dryer receptale ?

this how it hook up correct

Note : the red and black conductor I know the drawing it should have brass colour screws there I do not know why who make the drawing did not put it in there.

That is the correct way and you should have proper voltage like that set up the red and black will read 240 volts while red to white or black to white will read 120 volt I know you have to becarefull with ground if set up right both leg between the lines and ground will read 120 volt also but ground to netural will read zero volts.

now for dryer juction box it pretty much univerisal for most dryer but few case it will be differnt than others.

This what it look like { most are simuiar to this but not the excat the same }{ this photo have one code voilation it did not have strain relif clamp aka NM clamp on the cord }

That should help you with basic issue once you verify it let us know we will guide you the next step.

Merci,Marc

Old 11-30-09, 09:57 AM
Check/Replace Dryer Circuit Breaker

Hello Marc.
Thank you very much for your response. I checked the receptale. The wires are seemingly connected correctly per your provided drawings. I tested the wires. Here are the results: The Black vs. Red wires lighted up; the Black vs. White, and Black vs. Copper wires also lighted up; the Red vs. White, and Red vs. Copper wires did not light up; the White vs. Copper wires did not light up. Now, it makes sense that the Red wire is not hot. Thus, the Receptale may only have 120v; not 220v. Note that I do not have the VoltageMeter to confirm whether they are 120v or 220v. I only have the two wires UL Tester. I also openned up the circuit board to visit the Dryer Breaker; I only saw a Black & White Wires connect to the Dryer Breaker. Please advise. Thank you so very much.
Khoa

Old 11-30-09, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
I suggest buying a meter. A cheap analog will only run you about $10 and will do everything you need. Just set it to 250V and test the outlet and where it connects to the dryer. You could also check at the breaker too. This will all need to be done hot so safety first!

Old 11-30-09, 12:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by NgTanKhoa View Post
I only saw a Black & White Wires connect to the Dryer Breaker.
Where does the red wire go in the panel?

Old 11-30-09, 06:04 PM
Ok I can see where this going and by the way do you have electric water heater at your place ?
If that the case I think someone transponded the wrong conductors { same thing with central air conding units }

Follow that black conductor to see where the cable is located either top or bottom of load centre and you should able see red wire there if none of there then you have serious issue to be addressed.

Merci,marc

Old 11-30-09, 11:10 PM

Hello All,
First I would like to appology for my mis-information on the previous post about the the missing Red wire in at the dryer breaker. I looked at the dryer breaker board again; there are Red and Black wires connected to the dryer circuit breaker.

I bought a voltmeter and tested all the wires. It works great and makes a lot more sense. The Voltmeter was set at 250 ACV. Here are the results:
+ At the Dryer Circuit Breaker Board: Red vs. Black shows only 35v.
+ At the Recepticle: The Black vs. Red shows 35v; the Black vs. White, and Black vs. Copper wires show 120v; the Red vs. White, and Red vs. Copper wires show 15v; the White vs. Copper wires shows zero.

With the help of the Voltmeter and the results at the Circuit Board vs the Recepticle, I think there is something wrong with the Dryer Breaker. I think the issue starts right after the breaker where Red vs. Black wire only shows 35v.

What is your thought? Should I replace the breaker? Please give me next step.

Thank you very much,
Khoa

Old 11-30-09, 11:42 PM
What brand breaker you have in there ?

The reason why I ask due some are pretty tricky to change however most will be simauir the way I will describe to change the breaker.

To change the breaker first thing is you have to turn off the main breaker for your safety sake.
This part for good reason in case you got stuck breaker and have hard time to pry it out.
{ have a good flashlight to see what ya doing there }

However most case they useally pop out without major issue you will need a screwdriver to unhook the black et red conductors first then put the screwdriver between the breakers in the centre line as you will notced there and just lightly rock back and forth in horzontal fashion just don't go crazy with this.{ just like try to open the clamshell that how it work }

once you get that breaker pop out then install the new breaker but you do not need screwdriver for this part until you hook up the conductor.

To install just make sure you see the notch on one side of breaker that is the " feet " make sure it sit properly otherwise it will not go in the load centre.
Once you get that seat in then push on you will feel firm restince until you feel it do not go any more you can tell by looking next breakers above or below of it.

If that sit in properly then go ahead rehook black et red conductor to the proper termation slot.

then put the cover back on and turn on the main breaker.

{ a Tip here look at the cover screw holes and check and push the conductors away from the screw holes otherwise the screw can actally cut them It do happend once a while including myself so just take a extra second to make sure }

and you should have correct voltage between line 1 et line 2 aka black et red

Merci,Marc

Old 12-01-09, 12:11 AM

Hello Marc,

The existing breaker is Siemens. Howmany Amps should the new breaker be?

Thank you very much for your help,
Khoa

Old 12-01-09, 12:36 AM
Semins that is common one and it easy to get them in big box store but make sure you get the correct model and the dryer breaker do required 30 amp two pole breaker.
Note : there is alot of " will fit breakers " on market and I really advise you double check the panel door to verify the manufacter name the rest will be easy due it correct design many "will fit breaker" will have alot of issue you will not belive what I did see for many years.

Just follow my instruction per above however if the bussbar look burnted you will have to move the breakers down one postion or other empty two pole slot.

Merci,Marc

Old 12-01-09, 01:09 AM

Thank you very much, Marc. I will get one from the store and replace it first thing tomorrow AM.
I will let you know how it goes.
Khoa

Old 12-01-09, 07:13 AM
Everything sounds good so far but one last check. Get your volt meter and check across the 2 wires hooked at your breaker. See if you get 240 v or something close to it. If not, shut off the breaker and tighten the screws on it. You might want to shut off the main breaker while doing this. Also make sure the breaker is pushed in tight in the panel. After you do this turn on the power and check again across the 2 wires on your dryer breaker. If you don't have it now then replace the breaker with a new one. Note: I've seen the wires loose and breakers loose also causing the problem you're having.
Good luck and be safe.

Jim

Old 12-01-09, 02:06 PM

Hello All,

Mission's accomplished. I got the Dryer Breaker replaced. I also took Jim advise checking the remaining breakers with the voltmeter (I enjoy the meter very much. .

The dryer is up, runing and producing heat. It feels good.....ddddd. Hi...hi...

I would like to express my great appreciation to everyone help. You guys guide and instruction are so great that even I, the first timer, can do the job.

Thank you so very much,
Have a great holiday.
Khoa

Old 12-01-09, 05:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
Thank you very much for the positve feedback. It is nice to hear that your problem is solved.

Old 12-01-09, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by NgTanKhoa View Post
I also took Jim advise checking the remaining breakers with the voltmeter (I enjoy the meter very much. .
WOOT! Beer for all! Beer 4U2