100 amp box cannot handle load of electric heater

Old 12-02-09, 05:22 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
100 amp box cannot handle load of electric heater

We are in the process of moving in, I brought my electrical heaters to get it warmed up. Right now, the only thing plugged in is the tv and dish receiver, both were OFF. I had a few lights on in the house. I have 3 heaters, one large 120 volt, and 2 smaller room heaters. Long story short, I tried all 3 heaters in diffent room, different outlets and got the same result. The lights dimmed to almost darkness as well as the power light on the heater and none of the heaters would power on. Obviously there is a problem when you can't plug in one heater because it is pulling way too much amp load. The circuit box is a 100amp. How big of a problem is this, does the box need to be updated? The heating source is propane and we will not be able to have it set up til Jan. Will other plug in appliances cause this much of a load on the box too or is because the heaters are pulling too many amps

Old 12-02-09, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Your heaters are not pulling too many amps, you have some other issue.

The three plug in heaters combined equal about 4500 watts total which is only about 38 amps total on one leg. Of the 38 amps, if you were to split them up onto different circuits, it would only be no more than 25 amps per leg if you have a 240 volt service which most homes do.

Do you have any 240 volt appliances like a dryer, range or water heater? Do they work correctly? You may have a loose connection in your panel, meter box, or your feed from the power company. You could have the power company come out and check your lines. They will do it for free and any time day or night.

Old 12-02-09, 06:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
I agree with Scott, you have other issues with your service. The heaters should not have that affect on that size service.

Old 12-02-09, 06:38 PM
B
Is this a new or 'used' house?

Old 12-03-09, 04:38 AM
J
It is an older manufactured home. I had the power company come out to check their end, all the lines outside going into house to box are fine. He was nice enough to check the box itself with a voltage meter. He started from top to bottom testing the breakers. One would be 120 volts and the next was 33 volts all the way down. so it was 120, 33, 120 33 and so on. SO he said one of the legs was only carrying 33 volts when it should be 120 volts. The only bedroom where you could use the heater and it not pull a power drain was the room where the box is located. My husband said the landlord said there was was a faulty wire in that room but he couldn't find it. SO evidently he was letting us move in knowing there was a faulty wire somewhere. This is HIS responsibility to fix, right? Also there is a large power cord going into house from his junkyard/workshop back behind the house and my hubby said if I unplug it the lights go out in that room. Plus in the same room there is a metal box thing where an outlet was with a line for some kind running down into the floor somewhere.

Old 12-03-09, 05:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
It sounds like your main breaker may have partially failed. You mentioned a landlord, it should be their responsibility to have this fixed properly by a licensed contractor.

Replacing a main breaker is not typically a DIY item.

Old 12-03-09, 05:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I agree it would be the landlords responsibility. IF you have a main breaker maybe try to turn it off and on a couple times. I doubt this will fix it but it is worth a shot.

Old 12-03-09, 06:01 AM
R
I agree with Scott & Ben. It's either the Main Breaker or your wires feeding the main. Yes, you can try flipping the main breaker off & on to see if that works. If it does that would be great for short term but it really should get replaced. You never know that some day you might have to kill the main because of a problem and when you do it didn't kill the power because of the bad breaker. Get a electrician out there and have it fixed correctly ASAP.

Thanks!
Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: