Wiring a new garage???

Old 12-03-09, 12:02 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring a new garage???

My buddy just built a big detached garage. He has a new 100amp panel in place and ran either 4/0 or 2/0 aluminum wire, 4 strands from the panel to the meter box. The next step I believe is to terminate the wires in the box in the garage. Following that I believe I need to have the power company come out and remove the meter so I can connect the wires in the meter box. Are there usually extra places in the meter box to connect these wires? Do I need to have any hardware ready before they come out to disconnect the meter?

Any insight on this subject will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff Beer 4U2

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-09, 12:22 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by jmartin99 View Post
Are there usually extra places in the meter box to connect these wires?
No. Outbuilding feeders are generally powered from the main panel, not from the meter (unless this this a combination meter/main panel). What type of meter and main panel do you have? A picture or two is always helpful if you can get them and post them somewhere online.

Do I need to have any hardware ready before they come out to disconnect the meter?
Everything would need to be ready unless you want to be without power overnight. Usually for a job that requires a meter pull you schedule a morning disconnect / evening reconnect at least a couple days ahead. They pull the meter first thing in the morning and they reconnect near the end of the day shift. That leaves you about 5-6 hours to get your work done or you have to wait till the next morning for a reconnect. Some power companies also require an inspection before reconnect which will require more coordination with the inspector's office or an extra day without power. Others will do a quick look to make sure you didn't do anything obviously wrong and temp. reconnect pending formal approval by the inspector in some number of days.

Old 12-03-09, 12:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
I believe doing this would violate parts of the electrical code because not all the services would be grouped together. The disconnect means would be in two different locations.

Old 12-11-09, 11:02 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Picture of the Meter Box

Here is a pic of the meter box. The wire coming up below the box is the wire that goes underground to the garage panel. The wire will be in conduit when it is installed.

Just for the record, my house is basically wired this same way. The main feed goes down into the meter box and then a smaller set of wires comes back up and out of the weatherhead and into another weatherhead right next to it and runs in the ground to the garage.

Jeff

Old 12-11-09, 11:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 209 Votes on 185 Posts
That meter box is not going to work. There is not enough room for the new wires. They need to go the the main panel or you need to change the meter box to a larger cabinet.

As a side note your insulation my just be grandfathered in. I would have to see a picture of it to tell. They might have just used the meter box as a raceway.

Old 12-11-09, 11:47 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
If the main panel is back-to-back with meter, you might be able to LB the new wires right into the back of the main panel. It doesn't look like there's a whole lot of extra wire there -- is it just not pictured or perhaps more coiled up under the deck?