Replaced circuit not working, and now I'm stumped

Old 12-04-09, 01:02 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replaced circuit not working, and now I'm stumped

The electric went out in my bedroom while I was vacuuming. The circuit was in the off position and I turned it on but the electric remained out. I bought a new 20amp circuit and it still doesn't work.

Any help is appreciated except suggesting that I hire an electrician. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-09, 01:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Are you checking other receptacles to see if they are affected as well? I would turn off the breaker, check for power at the receptacle to make sure you got the right breaker, then remove the cover and pull the receptacle. You will probably find back stabbed connections. Remove those connections and make new ones under the screw heads. You may have to do it for all the receptacles on that circuit until you find one that has a wire hanging out of it or some other malady. Let us know how that works.

Old 12-04-09, 04:12 PM
B
Originally Posted by MarkRownd View Post
The electric went out in my bedroom while I was vacuuming. The circuit was in the off position and I turned it on but the electric remained out. I bought a new 20amp circuit and it still doesn't work.

Any help is appreciated except suggesting that I hire an electrician. Thanks.
Mark

If your breaker tripped this suggests you have a short or ground fault. Buying a new circuit breaker will not fix the problem. Your going to have to locate all items ( as chandler has mentioned) on the circuit that were effected by the breaker tripping. It is likely a short or ground fault in a electrical box on that branch circuit. Your going to need to open these up and look for a faulty wire or connection that caused your breaker to trip. Be sure you have your new breaker turned off while you search. A Voltage tester and receptacle tester will help with the search.

Do not get in an electrical box without a means to determine that there is no voltage present...

Only question I have is when you say the new breaker did not restore power do you mean it tripped out again or you were able to turn it on and power did not return to the circuit??

Be sure the breaker you found in the panel that was off is the correct one. It is not unusual to have a breaker in the off position in a panel.

Old 12-05-09, 10:29 PM
M
Originally Posted by Bruto View Post
Mark

If your breaker tripped this suggests you have a short or ground fault. Buying a new circuit breaker will not fix the problem. Your going to have to locate all items ( as chandler has mentioned) on the circuit that were effected by the breaker tripping. It is likely a short or ground fault in a electrical box on that branch circuit. Your going to need to open these up and look for a faulty wire or connection that caused your breaker to trip. Be sure you have your new breaker turned off while you search. A Voltage tester and receptacle tester will help with the search.

Do not get in an electrical box without a means to determine that there is no voltage present...

Only question I have is when you say the new breaker did not restore power do you mean it tripped out again or you were able to turn it on and power did not return to the circuit??

Be sure the breaker you found in the panel that was off is the correct one. It is not unusual to have a breaker in the off position in a panel.
Update:

You and Chandler were on the right track about locating the proper circuit. The circuit I replaced was not it. I took a shot at opening up the outlet in which I plugged the vacuum cleaner that blew out the electric and found that the wires had been scorched. Luckily it didn't start a fire. After trimming the wires I simply screwed in a new outlet. This restored the power.

Thanks for the warm welcome and help, I really appreciate it. I am looking forward to using this site quite a bit. Have a great holiday. M