Receptacle Location Advice

Old 12-10-09, 09:48 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Receptacle Location Advice

From time to time as I rewire my old house I come across situations Im not sure how to proceed.
I need to install an outlet on the bedroom side of a wall between the bedroom and the bathroom.
The old water pipes for the bath fixtures, galvanized and bronze, , run inside this plaster /lath wall , also some vent pipes. The wall is 5' long and very crowded with all the pipes,elbows, fittings and a heating outlet
The only receptacle in the bedroom[ house had K&T ] was located in this wall right under aT connecting three water pipes
My concern is installing the new receptacle in the same location as the old one where a water leak may occur.
I looked for a better location away from the water pipes but the vent pipes dont leave any room . Im not sure what to do
Ideas?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-09, 04:54 AM
D
RODEL: Do you expect that there will be leaks anytime soon?
If that is a great concern, perhaps you can fashion a watertight cover to place over and seal the receptacle box, or use an outdoor box.

Old 12-11-09, 09:29 AM
R
Thank you for replies,regarding the pipes they are as old as the house [70 yrs] but there are no signs of leaks or major corrosion.
Changing the pipes is a MAJOR job ,all fitings are threaded and there are multiple sections running down the basement through several walls.
Im not concern installing the receptacle near the pipes but under them as they run horizontal above any receptacle location.

Im wondering if the AFCI would trip if there was a water leak.
Thank you

Old 12-11-09, 10:49 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by RODEL View Post
Im wondering if the AFCI would trip if there was a water leak.
Either an AFCI or GFCI would trip in the event of a water leak that got into the box; however there is no code issue with installing receptacles over or under plumbing. Threaded brass and galvanized pipes will probably outlast you or me anyway.

Old 12-11-09, 10:00 PM
R
Thank you for all replies, sometimes I think I worry too much