Mattress Pump DC to AC Power Conversion

Old 12-10-09, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mattress Pump DC to AC Power Conversion

Hi all. i am new to the forums. I happen to own some treasures which were rescued from the dumpsters post-thanksgiving consumer waste peak of the holiday. One of these happens to be a mattress pump, which was thrown away alongside what appeared to be no longer working blow-up mattress.

I thought that this apparatus would come useful in a project I would like to pursue that requires an air pump type mechanism. I have been doing some research as to DC to AC conversion and some were as simple as requiring you to wire the DC appliance onto a 'wallwart' or a universal adapter, like a 12v phone charger was something described as to do feasible for this job.

However, looking into it further and reading some other instructable, I was alerted to maybe there being some soldering involved. Now, with soldering I have a general awareness of it back from high school physics class. I have a general knowledge of electromagnetix, but really I have nothing ingrained in my mind.

To some of you here on the forums, this may be childsplay and answers or solutions will probably jump out at you immediately. Just please be straightforward with your replies. Thanks I appreciate it much!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-09, 04:36 AM
D
What in particular do you want to discuss?

Old 12-11-09, 08:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You will need a 6 volt possibly regulated power supply. Difficult to find. 12 volts may damage the motor, since it is working off 6 volts now. A phone charger won't have the amperage rating to run the pump.

Old 12-12-09, 02:56 PM
dialer,
i would like to discuss the possibility of turning this pump into a plug-into-a-wall and get power device, instead of one that is battery-powered like you see it already is.

Old 12-12-09, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
You will need a 6 volt possibly regulated power supply. Difficult to find. 12 volts may damage the motor, since it is working off 6 volts now. A phone charger won't have the amperage rating to run the pump.
chandler, thanks for that. i already figured about the 6 volt part, but thanks for the amperage rating advice ill take it into consideration.

Old 12-12-09, 06:08 PM
B
google.com is your friend.

For projects like these, you need to be able to learn on your own. Or if you can't do that, take a class in electronics somewhere.

Otherwise here are some google.com searches...

How to solder...
Google

How to build DC power supply...
Google

Direct Current...
Google

Alternating Current...
Google

Voltage...
Google

Amperage...
Google

How to use a multimeter...
Google

Old 12-13-09, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by Bill190 View Post
google.com is your friend.

For projects like these, you need to be able to learn on your own. Or if you can't do that, take a class in electronics somewhere.

Otherwise here are some google.com searches...

How to solder...
Google

How to build DC power supply...
Google

Direct Current...
Google

Alternating Current...
Google

Voltage...
Google

Amperage...
Google

How to use a multimeter...
Google
Yeah, thanks guys for all the tips and pointers. Although I would have preferred somebody gave me straightforward instructions on how to take this thing apart and look at its internals, I guess it's kind of hard to teach someone the fundamentals of everything on a diy website. It looks like the battery contacts are soldered onto what looks like the pump. How would you actually loosen soldered contacts? Would you just put a soldering iron when it's hot against it?

Old 12-13-09, 09:37 AM
B
Again, google.com...

How to desolder...
Google

Old 12-13-09, 09:39 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
On the pump there is only two contacts that really count for your purposes. The remaining contacts most likely conect the batteries in series. Often you can see jumpers between the contacts a figure it out. If you can't hold the positive wire of your wall-wart to one of the positive contacts and with the switch on touch it to each of the negitives. Pump doesn't run try another positive till you determine which positive and negative battery contacts actually run the air pump.

Cut a block of wood to fit in the battery compartment. At the two places on the wood that align with the previously identified contacts put a screw abd wrap a wire around it. When you insert the wood the screws should fit tightly against the two contacts you previously identified.

As to what size wall wart I would dig a six volt one out of my junk box and use the smoke test method to determine if it was large enough. My guess is around 100 ma but that is only a guess. When using it touch the wall wart every couple of minutes to be sure it isn't over heating. I'd also check the voltage under load since the actual voltage on a cheap power supply may be too high if the actual amperage load is too low.

Old 12-14-09, 06:48 AM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The recommended load for D cells is probably 250 mA.