switched receptacles

Old 12-11-09, 09:53 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question switched receptacles

i am trying to add two switched receptacles to accomodate Christmas lights. i plan on placing them under the eaves of my house. i plan on grabbing power from the attic and bringing the power first to the switch and from the switch to the receptacles. i want to have both outlets on each receptacle controlled by the switch (no constant hots). in my research i've only found how to run power from the receptacle back to the switch, or to only have half the receptacle controlled by a switch. is what i'm trying to do even possible?
-thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-09, 10:40 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Power to both receptacles on a standard two-receptacle yoke is the default condition, if you want to power them separately you have to break off two tabs at the rear of the receptacle interconnecting the screws for the grounded and ungrounded conductors.

So all you need to do is to run a two wire circuit (with a separate grounding conductor) to the box containing the switch, switch the ungrounded ("hot") conductor going to the the first outlet, extend the circuit (including the grounding conductor) to the first outlet, leave its tabs intact, and then continue the circuit on to the second outlet - the easiest way to do this is to "pigtail" the conductors in the first outlet's box.

Depending on the location of of the exterior outlets and local requirements, you may need to GFCI protect the circuit or install GFCI receptacles - I would do so as a precaution even if its not required.

Old 12-11-09, 10:42 AM
R
Sorry I didn't realise I double post