Generator Cord

Old 12-12-09, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Generator Cord

Well I'm trying to finish up my generator inlet install, now that we've lost power once already its a good kick in the pants.

I'm looking at cords now to go between the 50amp inlet on the house to the generator (and yes, I have an interlock kit on the panel). The cords seem pretty expensive and was wondering if its cheaper to build one. The cheapest I can find for a 25 foot cord is $190 Cord. If I build one the plug ends are about $40 and $50, plus the cost of the cable. I'm not sure what the flexible cable is called to find out how much it would be a foot. Can someone tell me the name and if you know how much its currently selling for?

Thanks for the help,
Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-09, 05:17 PM
To answer the question, yes, you could build it yourself to the length you need. Materials are available at electrical suply houses and home stores, but I prefer professional suppliers, not big box. DON'T SKIMP ON MATERIALS, it can get very expensive if something fails.

Old 12-12-09, 06:04 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Have you considered placing the inlet close to where you plan to use the generator and run THWN in conduit most of the way? You could reduce it to maybe a three foot cord that way. Of course I can't be more specific without knowing where each will be. An example though is if the generator was used near a fence the inlet could be mounted to a fence post then conduit to your breaker box.

Old 12-13-09, 02:14 PM
For the cable, you want 6/3-8/1 soow. I have no idea what it sells for, but I would think there isn't a big savings DIY, unless you want a short one they don't make.

Old 12-13-09, 03:57 PM
Thanks guys,

I'll call around and see the price, now I can tell them what I'm looking for.

Where I put the inlet I think I could get away with a 10 foot cord, that is the closest I could get it to a place I snowblow.

Rob

Old 12-13-09, 04:40 PM
Ideally the shorter the cord and the fewer connections, the more the chance of connector problems goes down. And over rating componenets is good not bad.

Old 08-09-10, 02:07 PM
I would use a dryer cord available from either the 'Depot or Lowe's. Before anyone blows a gasket, here my recommendation out:

The cord is usually 6' in length and has a NEMA 14-50P male plug at the beginning, and four #6AWG wires at the end (Red, Blk, Wht, & Grn). If your Gen-set has a 50A output, it's almost always a NEMA 14-50R (receptacle). Assuming your Generator INLET is a California Standard (CS-series) twist-lock inlet, simple purchase an in-line CS 6365 (I think that's the number for 120/240VAC, 50A 4-wire) outlet and connect it to the wire-end of the dryer cord.

You now have an adapter cord that will connect to your gen-set and Generator Inlet. The cord usually goes for about $20, and the CA Outlet goes for about $30-$70 on eBay.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Old 08-09-10, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Circuit Breaker View Post
I would use a dryer cord available from either the 'Depot or Lowe's. Before anyone blows a gasket, here my recommendation out:

The cord is usually 6' in length and has a NEMA 14-50P male plug at the beginning, and four #6AWG wires at the end (Red, Blk, Wht, & Grn). If your Gen-set has a 50A output, it's almost always a NEMA 14-50R (receptacle). Assuming your Generator INLET is a California Standard (CS-series) twist-lock inlet, simple purchase an in-line CS 6365 (I think that's the number for 120/240VAC, 50A 4-wire) outlet and connect it to the wire-end of the dryer cord.

You now have an adapter cord that will connect to your gen-set and Generator Inlet. The cord usually goes for about $20, and the CA Outlet goes for about $30-$70 on eBay.

Hope this helps,

Steve
actually they do have 10' RANGE cords (dryer are usually 30A)
Amazon.com: PETRA 90-2088 4-Wire Range Cord, 10-Foot, 50 A: Home Improvement
and if I'm not mistaken, the twist lock inlet on your house is going to be male, like this,
50A 125/250V Standard RV Power Inlet | Marinco
so you need a female plug to go on the end of the 10' RANGE cord, like this (CS 6364) 50 AMP 125/250VAC FEMALE POWER PLUG (CS6364 TYPE)

Old 08-12-10, 08:10 AM
Oops! I meant RANGE (stove Plug). The dryer is in the 30A-range, and the stove-plug is in the 50A-range. I stand corrected on the CS6365/CS6364 descepancy. Never intended to say male plug on the cord- this would be a suicide cord and those are strictly "verbotten!" (forbidden).