Splicing electrical wire outside a gang box

Old 12-12-09, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Splicing electrical wire outside a gang box

I've got a situation where I need to splice two wires but cannot spare the space inside the gang box. I only have room for a single gang because of adjacent studs. I know you can't connect wires with wire nuts outside of a gang box, but is there a special kit that will allow you to do that without creating a fire hazard?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-09, 09:23 PM
nap
No. all splices must be in a junction box.

Old 12-12-09, 10:32 PM
Usually a single gang electrical box would have just one outlet or just one switch.

And you would only need one wire going to that switch or outlet.

All the other wires can be moved to a junction box in the attic, basement, another box in a nearby closet, etc.

So that's the trick. And you need to be able to get to the junction box in the future, so must be accessible. This is REALLY needed sometimes for troubleshooting circuits.

Old 12-13-09, 06:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Perhaps you could install an accessible junction in a different location and just run a new cable to the single gang box.

Old 12-13-09, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
Perhaps you could install an accessible junction in a different location and just run a new cable to the single gang box.
That's my plan, but I need to extend an existing source wire in the wall to reach it. For that I need a splice. I do not want to have to try to get a brand new wire to the original source box and retire the one that's there. The source box is embedded in an exterior wall and would take a lot of wire to reach, not to mention extreme difficulty in fishing a wire down there. In fact, I declare it to be a non-option.

Since I made my post, I've been told of a splice kit in which you attach the wires to a special connector, crimp them down, and use a heat gun to shrink wrap a protective sleeve onto the Romex jacket. I'm going to look into those; if I can't find or can't use one I'm screwed.

Architectural limitations are really screwing with my plans on this project. I've planned, prepared, measured, examine and every time I've cut into the wall I've run into a hitch.

Old 12-13-09, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
Ahhh durn...I can't think of the name...but French or one of the other pro's should. There was a discussion a while back about these slide-lock type connectors that were shown on a TOH for the prefab home? They just craned the walls in place and plugged them in? I don't think they were any sort of a box, or that they were even accessible.....

Old 12-13-09, 11:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Might be thinking of the tap connector by AMP, IIRC. There has been some discussion as to their usage and whether they are code compliant.

I will try and dig up the discussion.

Old 12-13-09, 04:00 PM
An intermediate Thank You

I just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed advice and answers so far. I couldn't have done a great deal of the electrical work that I've done without your help. I know that with your help I will find a way to accomplish my goal on this project.

Old 12-13-09, 04:15 PM
PCboss is correct it is a AMP connector and it kinda limited useage but I do know it is allowed in few location but let me dig that details up and post it here I know it been a quite a while senice the last time we discussed that item.

Merci.
Marc

P.S.

Here the link I found http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...cing-wire.html

it was there plus it have the manufacter info there.

Last edited by french277V; 12-13-09 at 04:18 PM. Reason: add updated info
Old 12-13-09, 04:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here is some info from the manufacturer.

208169-1 Product Details - Tyco Electronics

Old 12-14-09, 07:40 AM
That Tyco product is just what I needed! Thanks so much.

Old 12-14-09, 08:42 AM
I've just learned that I can't do this...I really do need a box.

Those kits that I was looking for are approved for use underground only; if the connector fails the current just runs into the ground. Behind a finished drywall it starts a fire.

This means I have to use a junction box to make the connection. How I'm going to get one in there I have no idea.

If I feel I can't do it safely I might hire an electrician to put in another circuit and run a wire to the junction box in my basement ceiling. That will solve my problem for sure.

Old 12-14-09, 09:39 AM
Sometimes you need to do to a great amount of work to do something right. Maybe rip out drywall, reframe a wall, get a concrete cutter and cut a trench in a concrete floor to run new plumbing/electrical, etc.

The secret for me is I know how to do drywall. So no problem ripping out walls or cutting holes in walls to run new wiring if needed. This is actually quite easy and cheap. Might pick up a book on this if you don't know how to do drywall.

I'm currently working on my bathroom. Work needs to be done in the crawlspace under there. There is not enough room to work (old house). So we are digging out the crawlspace. This HAS to be done to do it right.

Actually this has turned out to be a challenge and a bit of fun. How do you get that dirt out of there? Well we cut a big hole in the living room floor and are hauling wheel barrow loads of dirt out through the front door! (Whatever it takes...)

Old 12-14-09, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
What kits would you be talking about? The one with the shrink tubing? Well, what about the Amp connector? I mean..if you know its there..and you ever have a problem you will know where to look at least.

Old 12-14-09, 08:53 PM
Yes, but a future owner of my home would not. I'd rather play it safe and not do anything questionable. But I found yet another possible solution: rip the old gang box out of the wall and put in a deeper one. I didn't think I could fit a deeper one, but I can--I proved it. The deeper one has barely enough volume for my needs.

Thanks again all for helping me out with this.

Old 12-15-09, 07:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The amp connectors are code compliant. The future home owner won't have a need to know about the connection. They are not proned to failure. If the future home owner cuts the wall he would cut the wire anyway, so the amp connector would be a moot point. The connection is permanent, meaning it won't fall apart.
Glad you found a potential problem solver with the deeper box. Hope it works for you.