Locknut on rigid nipple

Old 12-13-09, 12:02 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Locknut on rigid nipple

I will be installing a 2"x6" rigid conduit nipple between two enclosures. How far down the threads should I tighten the outside locknuts to? I have them tightened down to the point where after the addition of the thickness of the sheet metal of the enclosure and the inside locknut is installed, the plastic bushing will screw onto the threads almost all of the way on. Should I keep going? I was tightening it with a hammer and a screwdriver since I don't have any pliers that will work on something this big. Is there any code or guideline regarding the threads?

I hope this makes sense. If not, I can take a picture.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-09, 06:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
Did you install locknuts on the outside of the enclosure as well as the ones on the inside? You clamp everything securely clamped to the enclosure for an effective ground path.

Old 12-13-09, 10:16 PM
R
Yeah, I will have one on the outside of each enclosure as well as on the insides. Here is a picture:

Now, the single locknut at the bottom wouldn't thread on as far as the one on the top. How far does it need to be? Does it matter?

Old 12-13-09, 10:38 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
The locknuts only have to thread on far enough to allow the inside locknuts and the bushing to be secure.

Old 12-14-09, 12:23 PM
R
Originally Posted by furd View Post
The locknuts only have to thread on far enough to allow the inside locknuts and the bushing to be secure.
Makes sense... That's what I was going for. I think if I had been using zinc die-cast locknuts I would have broken them with how tight I made them!

Old 12-14-09, 03:09 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I do not believe they make die cast locknuts for rigid pipe although many people often use the die cast nuts intended for other fittings for that purpose.