Safest way to splice xmas candle lite ?

Old 12-13-09, 06:36 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Safest way to splice xmas candle lite ?

Have a about 40 yr old simple window xmas candle which plugs into regular 120v outlet. Uses simple single screwin xmas bulb lite.
The wire is cut/frayed in middle of the 5 feet cord.

Wire/cord has two wires actually molded of course together into one rubber coated wire/cord and connects into old-style 2 prong plug (both with same small size plug blades (not the newer one big and othe small blade plug)) and not a newer 3 prong plug type.

Can I just skin off inch or two of the wires and then twist and re-connect up and wrap some electrical tape around the splice and be ok and safe to touch and never get a shock ?

How about using some sticky rubber butyl tape also ? Safe?
Could even some silicone or waterproof caulking be used to sorta reform a rubberlike coating all around the wire splice ?
Is caulking safe from not conducting electricity ?

Or is it better/safer to use solder to make the connection and also wrap that up in electrical tape ?
What does diff does soldering vs elect taping do for any elec connection ?

What is diff between using plastic elec twist-on special sized caps vs wrapping elec tape ?

Side ? - what how does static electricity affect touching a plugged in elect device like a simple xmas window candle like above ? Any affect at all ?
House is very dry all winter and with wallwall carpetting - get lots of static shocks touching metal stuff things.

( I did actually buy a brand new one of these plugin xmas candle (to be safer)(actually still make them) to replace this one - but still like to fix the old one and intersted to understand my questions above)

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-09, 07:13 AM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
The safest way is to throw it away Sorry but if you really want to do it you should use solder and heatshrink tubing of the appropriate size for the wire and shrink it with a heat gun (Takes like 10-15 secs or a hair dryer which will take like 1-1:30 Minutes as they are not as hot as a heat gun) you will have to cut it in half where the damaged section is make sure to remove all of the damaged cord. If the cord is not polarized you will just splice the two wires back together but if it polarized you will want the ribbed side of the cord to go to the screw shell so splice both ribbed parts back together and the flat non-ribbed goes to the center contact in the lamp and the same with splicing it actually you should do the ribbed to ribbed and the flat to the flat no matter if polarized or not (As that will make it not look like a hack job and I think is easier to maintain polarity if you actuality want to plug it in the proper way) Ribbed wire is the neutral and should go to the wide slot on the outlet the flat/non-ribbed is the hot and goes to the smaller slot on the outlet
and you cannot use electrical tape because as the years pass it will become stickey and fall off and the cord will be exposed so get some good quality heat shrink tubing of the right size and use that and remember to put it on before you solder or you will have to undue your connections (Yes I have done that more then once)

Old 12-13-09, 07:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
For all the time and effort it really would be safer and probably cheaper to throw the old one away.

Old 12-13-09, 08:41 AM
P
So soldering is best?

Yeh know using a new one is best -
But just in general to my splicing/safety/elec questions
even if not pertains to this xmas candle thing
My other questions ?
--
What is purpose of soldering really ?
Does type of elec tape or maybe such as rubber butyl waterproof tape make diff ? better or worse ?

What about use of the elec screw on type caps vs soldering and taping ?
What does elec code say about using elec tape to tape up wires ? Allowable ?

Also this xmas candle lite NOT have the 2 diff size blades on the plug - it is older with 2 small equal size blades and so is mots of the 50+ yr old house outlets.
So I guess there is no polarity issues then ?
Thanks

Old 12-13-09, 09:14 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
So I guess there is no polarity issues then ?
There has always been a safety issue. It just took a while for it to be addressed with polarized plugs so the the threaded metal shell of the lamp holder is neutral. This helps prevents a shock should someone who is also touching a ground touch the lamp holder shell or the metal base of the bulb while removing the bulb.

Old 12-13-09, 03:45 PM
P
Same for overhead lite sockets ?

So the polarity thing - which I dont have in any of original house's wall outlets - since have the plain simple equalsize 2 blade outlets....

Does similar thing hold true for things like ceiling or overhead lite sockets with their associated screw in lite bulbs ?
And things like bathroom fans or bedroom ceiling overhead fans (dont have to unscrew/screw lite bulbes in them but ..) ?

I assume it does not matter really whether the lite bulb is gettting elec from a plugged in wall socket or a permanent wired ceiling lite socket, right ?

Thanks

Old 12-13-09, 04:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
The bulb will work either way. It is a safety issue and tries to minimize the chance of touching a metal part and receiving a shock.