rerouted electricity?

Old 12-14-09, 09:48 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
rerouted electricity?

Hi all, this is my first post on this website.

I recently bought a house and I've been working to fix a lot of shoddy electrical work that has accumulated over the years. It is a traditional New England style three decker that is over 100 years old. The former owner had 4 new circuit breaker boxes (one for each floor and a landlord box) as well as new outside panels. I also live on the first floor.

As I was working on rewiring some lights in the basement, I noticed the main breaker for the first floor didn't do anything and I also noticed a wire running from the landlord box to the first floor box. I noticed hitting the breaker (in the 1st floor or landlord box) associated with the wire turned off the electricity to the whole first floor.

I called the electric company today about my bill. The first floor bill is 0.00 dollars while the Landlord Bill is around 35. $35 is a bit high for running a couple motion lights and fire detectors, while 0 is obviously wrong for the first floor. They told me the first floor electricity was never turned on because it was never had a wire inspection.

It seems to me that the first floor electricity has be rerouted from the landlord box to the first floor box which is why the mainbreaker has no effect while the other breaker has the same effect as the main breaker.

Is fixing this as simple as removing the wire that connects the landlord to the first floor box, then having an inspector come in so I can get the electricity turned on?

Why would the former owner have the Landlord, 2nd, and 3rd floors inspected, but not the first floor.

The former owner did have an electrician do the work, as I had met him. Why would an electrician do it this way instead of just doing things the proper way? I havent found any serious problems so far, so what could they be hiding by doing this?

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-09, 10:12 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by allies0823 View Post
Is fixing this as simple as removing the wire that connects the landlord to the first floor box, then having an inspector come in so I can get the electricity turned on?
Yes, but it could turn out to be less than simple depending on what failed inspection or wasn't inspected in the beginning. If there's wiring hidden in the walls, the inspector could require some demolition to see it. Hopefully they will be accommodating to you as this problem isn't really your fault.

Why would the former owner have the Landlord, 2nd, and 3rd floors inspected, but not the first floor.
Perhaps it failed inspection and he never fixed the problem? If you're lucky it's just some type of paperwork problem that can be quickly resolved.

Why would an electrician do it this way instead of just doing things the proper way?
Maybe he never paid the electrician to finish the job and just patched it together himself?

Old 12-14-09, 12:31 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You may want to check out how they calculate electric bills for your area.

In some cases, utilities charge a minimum monthly charge even if you don't use any electricity.

If you are going to use the entire house for yourself, it may be to your advantage to place everything on one electric meter???

Old 12-14-09, 01:38 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
It could be as simple as the landlord was living on the first floor and rather than paying two bills (the common area bill and the first floor bill) he simply had the first floor panel fed from the common area panel.